- 2013–05–23 Foote and his mouth
Text For roughly three decades in the mid-18th century Foote was England’s pre-eminent stage comic, the toast of the clubs and coffee-houses of London’s ...
- 2013–05–22 Five Bar Blues
- 2013–05–22 Next Section of the High Line
Image The path [from West 30th Street up to West 34th] quickly opens up to offer sweeping views of the Hudson River, the West Side Highway, and the Penn ...
- 2013–05–22 (untitled)
Image A wild goose in the history museum in Aralsk, on what was once the shore of the Aral Sea. A “wild goose chase” was originally a horse race ...
- 2013–05–22 The monster studies for his Generals?
Quote Well, that’s gothic literature for you. It’s unintentionally hilarious. I’m not the first one to notice. But I think it’s interesting the way ...
- 2013–05–22 The Waffle House Index
Quote Craig Fugate, the head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, came up with the idea of the “Waffle House index” as an informal way of ...
- 2013–05–22 Room 237
Text … my favorite part of Room 237 [is] the analysis of the Overlook Hotel’s uncanny architecture by the solitary female voice-over — ...
- 2013–05–16 Blickets
Text In “Playing for All Kinds of Possibilities,” a very fun science article in yesterday’s New York Times, reporter David Dobbs describes how ...
- 2013–05–15 (untitled)
Image Jay DeFeo, ca. 1960. Photo via The Whitney Museum of American Art
- 2013–05–14 Ghostface calls it as he sees it
Quote On Supreme Clientele: “I went to jail. But before that, it was just one of those times. I was still Ghost, even though Ironman wasn’t really ...
- 2013–05–14 Privy Seal
Quote Neil Irwin’s The Alchemists gives us a time and a place at which the major advanced countries abruptly pivoted from stimulus to austerity. The time ...
- 2013–05–14 Niave Whorfianism
Quote I have often tried here on Language Log, in playful or polemical ways, to critique naive lexical strong Whorfianism, which seems to take up most of the ...
- 2013–05–14 Wall tiles at LAX
Image Designed by Charles Kratka (1922-2007)
- 2013–05–14 101 Spring Street Restored
Image The exterior of 101 Spring Street, 1972. Photograph: Paul Katz/Courtesy Judd Foundation Archives.
Museum-quality art, museum-quality design, and the ...
- 2013–05–09 (untitled)
Quote Bottle designed by Sergej Pavlin.
In the early 1950s, the father of Cockta, Mr. Emerik Zelinka, working for the Slovenijavino beverage company, ...
- 2013–05–08 (untitled)
Image One frame from Gary Panter’s illustrated history for RBMA Daily Note.
- 2013–05–08 (untitled)
Image Advertisement for Leo Castelli Gallery in Avalanche 2, 1971.
- 2013–05–08 (untitled)
Image Nicola Twilley’s eel registration card with the Cross-Species Adventure Club.
- 2013–05–07 (untitled)
- 2013–05–07 (untitled)
- 2013–05–07 The Choco Pie
Text The Choco Pie is a mouth-drying, individually wrapped slab of cake, marshmallow and chocolate, and in South Korea it is as important a part of ...
- 2013–05–06 (untitled)
Quote Shirley Clarke screened Portrait of Jason for perhaps the most impressive and illustrious focus group ever assembled. Among the names on the RSVP list ...
- 2013–05–03 (untitled)
- 2013–05–02 (untitled)
Quote Towards the end of The Great Gatsby, Gatsby’s father shows Nick Carraway a book Jimmy Gatz had ‘when he was a boy’, a copy of Hopalong Cassidy ...
- 2013–04–30 ‘Classic’ as trace of fashion
Quote “A classic,” suggested Anthony, “is a successful book that has survived the reaction to the next period or generation. Then ...
- 2013–04–29 When Bo Jackson ran up that wall
- 2013–04–29 (untitled)
Quote Around the time that I began to suspect that I might be a Marxist I became very depressed and spent a lot of time in bed watching television. One thing ...
- 2013–04–29 Latest episode of Pomerantsevision
Text I first met Mamyshev in the mid-noughties. Hyper-camp and always trying on new ideas, he was just planning his next role: Putin. ‘When I became ...
- 2013–04–28 Common Foley tricks
Quote Corn starch in a leather pouch makes the sound of snow crunchingA pair of gloves sounds like bird wings flappingAn arrow or thin stick makes a whooshAn ...
- 2013–04–25 Reverse engineering?
Quote This week the Federal Reserve announced that a new, redesigned $100 bill is coming out, and as you’d expect, the thing is a cornucopia of ...
- 2013–04–25 (untitled)
Video The Private Life of a Cat, dir Maya Deren and Alexander Hammid (1944)
- 2013–04–23 (untitled)
Image Isamu Noguchi in his Long Island City studio, c. 1960s. Photograph by Walter Resier
Through April 28th, The Noguchi Museum presents an ...
- 2013–04–22 ‘Repo Man: A Lattice of Coincidence’
Quote Like Billy Wilder and so many others, Alex Cox saw Los Angeles through the eyes of a foreigner. Perhaps this perspective helped him gauge the weight of ...
- 2013–04–22 Within You Without You
Quote Perhaps there had been a moment in the career of the human animal at which something like self-consciousness became a possibility, and a complex of ...
- 2013–04–17 The Bitcoin Bubble
Text Historically, money arose from, and in conjunction with, this power. (This point has been made repeatedly over the years, most recently in David ...
- 2013–04–17 Dwight Garner on Rachel Kushner’s ‘The Flamethrowers’
Quote This is a novel in which a fish’s head on a plate resembles “a shorn airplane fuselage.” An auburn beard tumbles down a man’s chin “like ...
- 2013–04–16 Roberto Bolaño at the baths
Text Together, riding a Benelli—they were everywhere then—we attempted to visit all the baths in Mexico City, guided by an absolute eagerness that was a ...
- 2013–04–15 (untitled)
Image Richard Burton and John le Carré, 1965.
- 2013–04–15 Young Mr. Marx
Text The young Marx began his career by securing a post at a radical newspaper in Germany. Journalism was to provide him for the rest of his days with a ...
- 2013–04–15 Slices both ways
Quote The price wars have put customers in an emotional quandary. Cheryl Costello used to frequent 2 Bros. Pizza, until one opened next door to Vinny Vincenz ...
- 2013–04–15 (untitled)
Details from the subway poster for The Big Wedding (2013).
- 2013–04–13 Gabrielle Ferrer: ‘Transparent Things’
Clip Gabrielle Ferrer, Cones (#28), 2013, archival inkjet print mounted on plywood, 8 × 8”.Gabrielle Ferrer’s solo debut, “Transparent ...
- 2013–04–12 Luigi Ghirri’s ‘Kodachrome’ (at Matthew Marks)
Clip Luigi Ghirri, Versailles, 1977, vintage cibachrome, 11 × 8 3/8”.Luigi Ghirri was fascinated by the implications of the photograph’s ...
- 2013–04–11 El Giro Gallo
Image Photo: Ericka MartinsOf the coterie of taco trucks that line Roosevelt Avenue from Woodside to Corona, El Gallo Giro is one of the most popular. ...
- 2013–04–11 Suzie Frankfurt’s cookbook
Quote “So we did the book, Andy with his Dr. Martin’s dyes and Mrs. Warhol [Andy’s mother], her calligraphy. She was gifted and untutored, and we ...
- 2013–04–09 (untitled)
Image Maggie Smith, ca. 1950s
- 2013–04–08 (untitled)
- 2013–04–04 (untitled)
Image Still from Wanda, dir Barbara Loden (1970).
- 2013–04–01 a Jogging book
- 2013–04–01 Bottoms up
Quote Prokofiev and Balanchine collaborated on the ballet The Prodigal Son of 1929, but as one of the most entertaining passages in the diary makes clear, ...
- 2013–03–28 This Week’s Weegee #96
- 2013–03–28 (untitled)
Image Jan Dibbets at the Museum of Modern Art, 1977
- 2013–03–27 A few more personal details
Quote A few months before the publication of Dusklands in 1974, J.C. Kannemeyer reports, Peter Randall, the director of Ravan Press in Johannesburg, asked ...
- 2013–03–27 Letters between J.M. Coetzee and Paul Auster
Quote Sometimes Auster endeavours to match Coetzee’s otherworldly tone, but it’s obvious that he’s too embedded in a world of opening nights and the ...
- 2013–03–27 Scrapbooks at Andrew Roth
Clip William S. Burroughs and Brion Gysin, Untitled (scrapbook A), 1964–70,
mixed media, 12 1/4 × 7 3/4”.Art historian Alex Kitnick muses that ...
- 2013–03–25 (untitled)
Image Golden Grrrls (UK), Sea Lions (CA), What Next?, Slonk Donkerson
Glasslands Gallery, 23 April, 8:30p, $10. 21+
- 2013–03–25 (untitled)
Image Cate Blanchett as Bob Dylan in I’m Not There (1998).
- 2013–03–25 Robert Weaver’s ‘A Pedestrian View’
Clip Page from Robert Weaver's artist's book published by Kettler VerlagOn February 21st, a group of artists and writers gathered at The New School to ...
- 2013–03–22 (untitled)
Quote When a German soldier marched into P. G. Wodehouse’s home in France, in 1940, and gave the distinguished author ten minutes to pack, “Plum,” as ...
- 2013–03–22 An A from Nabokov
Quote I wandered into Lit 311 at the beginning of my sophomore year at Cornell in September 1954. The professor was Vladimir Nabokov, an émigré from ...
- 2013–03–22 Dwight Garner on Richard Hell
Text Mr. Hell’s intellectual progress consisted of defining himself as against, rather than for, things. He scorned the Beats and their “insistence on ...
- 2013–03–22 (untitled)
Quote From Hugh Kenner, The Counterfeiters (1968):
That is Babbage’s beatific vision [of his Difference Engine], that slow settling of suspended ...
- 2013–03–22 McMuffin variants
In the US and Canada the standard McMuffin consists of a slice of Canadian bacon, a griddle-fried egg, and a slice of American cheese on a toasted ...
- 2013–03–22 OFM‘s McMuffin clone
- 2013–03–21 (untitled)
Clip In the future… What will museums choose to display? How will people experience objects? What will museums say about ...
- 2013–03–18 Boots not pictured
- 2013–03–13 (untitled)
Image Sylvia Plath interviews Elizabeth Bowen for Mademoiselle, Cambridge, MA, May 1953.
- 2013–03–12 Karl-Marx-Allee née Stalinallee
Quote After its completion in the 1950s, the boulevard was very popular with Berliners and visitors alike. People crowded into the stores. “Taking the ...
- 2013–03–11 The fight of the century at Fanelli’s
Quote One turning point in the development of Artists’ SoHo came in the wake of the Joe Frazier-Mohammed Ali fight of March 8, 1971. As the Videofreex, ...
- 2013–03–11 Source code
Quote Joseph Jon Lanthier writes, quite wonderfully:With respect to your quaternary take on DESIGN FOR LIVING:Not having been the one on whom you picked (at ...
- 2013–03–11 (untitled)
Image Unused poster for Michelangelo Antonioni’s Zabriskie Point by Milton Glaser (1970)
- 2013–03–11 Hike/saunter
Quote Hiking – I don’t like either the word or the thing. People ought to saunter in the mountains – not hike! Do you know the origin of that ...
- 2013–03–04 Whit Stillman
- 2013–03–04 Sinister Pop
Image Installation view of Sinister Pop (Whitney through March 4). Featuring Christo’s hand truck.
- 2013–03–04 Alma Thomas, ‘Late Night Reflections’ (1972)
Image Acrylic on canvas, 28 ¾ x 44 inches. On display in Blues for Smoke, Whitney Museum through April 28.
- 2013–03–04 (untitled)
Image ↑ architecten de vylder vinck taillieu, Weze, 2012. Axonometric projection of the furnished wall.
- 2013–03–04 (untitled)
Image Kate Moss, first sitting. 26th October 1988. Edition – 1/5.
- 2013–03–04 (untitled)
Image Joe Brainard in 1977. Photo: Peter Hujar.
- 2013–03–04 Regressions
Quote At the midway point in Margaret Wise Brown’s beloved Goodnight Moon (1947)—that instant when the book becomes a sort of palindrome and bids good ...
- 2013–03–04 The predilections of twins
Text There is further cause for concern. Mistra’s inventories encoded a surprising array of complex, highly individuated behaviours by means of ...
- 2013–02–28 (untitled)
Quote From Simon E. Fisher, “Tangled webs: tracing the connections between genes and cognition” (Cognition Vol. 101, Issue 2, Sept ...
- 2013–02–28 (untitled)
Image Venue's vote for best card catalog entry ever—a Franz Feneon-worthy novel in two lines, filed under "Horses. Biography."—was brought to our ...
- 2013–02–28 (untitled)
Image Jessica Rath, Kazakhstan Elite. 3.5” x 2.5” x 3” (each), high-fire glazed porcelain
- 2013–02–28 The shape of cheese to come
Quote IMAGE: In an extremely small 1991 study, C. J. Overbeeke and M. E. Peters of the Delft University of Technology gathered preliminary evidence to show ...
- 2013–02–28 (untitled)
Quote [Karl Ove Knausgaard] takes his little daughter, Vanje, to a classmate’s birthday party. She is a shy and introverted child, but she longs to play ...
- 2013–02–27 (untitled)
- 2013–02–26 E.B. White, ‘Death of a Pig’ (1948)
Quote Shortly after five o’clock I remembered that we had been invited out to dinner that night and realized that if I were to dose a pig there was no ...
- 2013–02–26 An interview with Morrissey
Quote I am still my teenage self. If you think that we all step through a door marked Adult, or that we sign a Grown-Up Document, you’re quite wrong. We ...
- 2013–02–26 (untitled)
Quote [Christopher Ricks] told me, with a great and sharp glint in his eyes, that Yeats was the most overrated poet in the English language. And, he added ...
- 2013–02–26 (untitled)
Quote [The Centre Pompidou retrospective on Eileen Gray] begins with the exquisite lacquerwork Gray made in the early 1900s after discovering the craft as a ...
- 2013–02–26 (untitled)
Image ↑ Adrien Rovero, Sedie 1:20 [“Chair 1:20”] pasta, 2007
- 2013–02–25 Embroidery Trouble Shooting Guide
Text I mention this now because I think that, after my nearly 20 years online, the Embroidery Trouble Shooting Guide page at ...
- 2013–02–25 Vauxhall & We
Text The royal parks, such as St James’s and Hyde Park, began opening to the public in the 17th century, while places like the Bear Gardens south of the ...
- 2013–02–25 (untitled)
Image Garrett McNamara on an approximately 100-ft wave
Praia do Norte beach, near Nazaré, Portugal
- 2013–02–24 (untitled)
Image Poster for One, Two, Three (1961), designed by Saul Bass.
- 2013–02–22 Some photographs of Gérard Depardieu
- 2013–02–19 (untitled)
Direct and synch sound make us feel present; their noticeable absence is an immediate distancing device; and more complex relationships to the film ...
- 2013–02–19 At ‘Snout to Tail,’ JTT
Image Anna-Sophie Berger. Untitled, 2012 (c-print, 30.5 × 20.5 in).
- 2013–02–19 (untitled)
Image The ThinkPad laptopcomputer designed in 1995 by Richard Sapper with Sam Lucente, Robert P. Tennant, John Karidis and the IBM Corporation
- 2013–02–19 ‘Racecraft’
Text Which is where racecraft comes in. If today there is widespread agreement about the inadequacy of race as a biological concept, agreement is just as ...
- 2013–02–19 Indicated saturation
Text Once in a while, though, the stakes get raised. In October 2009, an administrator posted a thread with the subject line “If you have ordered 2C-B-fly ...
- 2013–02–18 Henri Matisse, ‘Histoires juives’ (Jewish Histories), 1924
Image On display in Matisse: In Search of True Painting
Metropolitan Museum of Art through March 17
- 2013–02–17 (untitled)
Quote Les Murray grew up in rural New South Wales in a two-room, earth-floored wooden shack roofed with shingles and later corrugated iron. The walls and ...
- 2013–02–15 Rheingold, ‘Computerbeat’ (1984)
- 2013–02–15 Kuzmich studies
Quote When he was suddenly taken ill in the southern city of Taganrog on 8 November 1825, the 47-year-old tsar Alexander I had been considering giving up the ...
- 2013–02–14 (untitled)
Quote The lusts of the regime’s satraps were also a matter of public knowledge. During the disastrous military campaign in Greece in the winter of 1940-41, ...
- 2013–02–14 Norman Rockwell, ‘The Soda-Jerk’ (1953)
- 2013–02–13 (untitled)
Image Cosby wears a custom track-themed sweater, conceived by costume director Sarah Lemire and executed by a Boston architecture student.
- 2013–02–13 Paul Windle • ADC Young Guns 2012
Image Paul Windle YGX Current Location: Brooklyn, New York Originally From: United States Studio: Paul Windle ...
- 2013–02–12 Diatomaceous earth
Image Diatomaceous earth, also known as diatomite or kieselgur, as viewed under bright field illumination on a light microscope. Diatomaceous earth is a ...
- 2013–02–12 Genre as simile
Quote I did not really know where I was going, so, when anyone asked me, I said to Russia. Thus my trip started, like an autobiography, upon a rather nicely ...
- 2013–02–12 ‘Powerful and arrogant’
Quote The Tsar Bomba was flown to its test site by a specially modified Tu-95V release plane, flown by Major Andrei Durnovtsev. Taking off from an airfield ...
- 2013–02–11 (untitled)
Image The original Sarah Lund sweater. €280
The other Sarah Lund sweater from series one. €280
Sarah Lund's ...
- 2013–02–11 Victor Shklovsky
Text Shklovsky made a book of it, an odd epistolary novel titled Zoo, or Letters Not About Love (1923): Triolet had allowed him to write to her on the ...
- 2013–02–11 An encounter with J-P Sartre (2000)
Text Les Temps modernes had played an extraordinary role in French, and later European and even Third World, intellectual life. Sartre had gathered around ...
- 2013–02–11 Sylvia and Marty
Quote Sylvia Plath ’55 and Marcia Brown Stern ’54
Three weeks before she died on July 25, 2012, Marcia (Marty) Brown Stern ’54 sent me a registered ...
- 2013–02–10 New Year Special, Congee Village (100 Allen Street)
- 2013–02–08 (untitled)
Quote When in a good and merry mood Trisy would seize a dozen eggs, and a bucket of flour, coerce a cow to milk itself, and then mixing the ingredients toss ...
- 2013–02–07 Angela Carter on Elizabeth Wilson (1985)
Text Here she sums up the present condition of aesthetics with positively majestic severity. Yet it is precisely when she discusses fashion in the present ...
- 2013–02–07 Robert Hughes, ‘The Shock of the New’ Ep. 3 (1980)
- 2013–02–07 The cyberpragmatics of bounding asterisks
Text In comic strips of the early to mid-20th century, cartoonists often needed to represent expressive non-verbal noises in the characters' speech ...
- 2013–02–05 Sofa cloth swatch for the Miller House. ca. 1955
Image Hand-woven fabric selected by Alexander Girard
- 2013–02–01 ‘Craft Horizons,’ 1950s/1960s
- 2013–01–31 P.G. Wodehouse, ‘Back to Whiskers’
Text Whether the old critics were bitter because they had beards or grew beards because they were bitter is beside the point. The fact remains that all the ...
- 2013–01–31 40 Years of Artists Space
Image Artists Space staff, 1979. Photographed by Cindy Sherman as part of a photo shoot for Cover Magazine.January 31 – March 15, 2013
NYU Bobst Library - ...
- 2013–01–30 Neutral monism
Text Thomas Nagel [in Mind and Cosmos] begins with the clearest of materialism’s problems: the great difficulty it has explaining the subjective character ...
- 2013–01–29 Krazy khat
Quote In 1980, the World Health Organization (WHO) classified it as a drug of abuse that can produce mild to moderate psychological dependence (less than ...
- 2013–01–29 Marco Pierre White, late ’80s
- 2013–01–29 Musical saw, 2
Quote [William] Styron would enjoy his first taste of fame at a party thrown in 1952 by Leo Lerman, who decades later became the editor of Vanity Fair and ...
- 2013–01–28 Façade magazine, No. 1 (1976)
- 2013–01–28 The temperature of self-regard (1997)
Text … As Audrey edged toward retirement, she suffered substitution; she watched from the sidelines, without sorrow, as other stars took her place. ...
- 2013–01–25 Luigi Ghirri, ‘Kodachrome’ (1978)
- 2013–01–25 Bezark #24
Image From The Historical Dictionary of American Slang:
bezark [orig. unkn.] an odd or contemptible man or woman. ca1925 in D. Runyon Poems for Men 15: ...
- 2013–01–25 Chez Sardine, 183 W 10th Street
- 2013–01–24 Me digress
Quote Alistair Cookie introduced viewers to a spot of culture while relaxing in a well-stuffed armchair. Though seemingly more sedate and urbane, Alistair ...
- 2013–01–24 (untitled)
Quote I had literally cut it myself earlier that year — with a pair of fingernail scissors — while working on the “Peyton Place” TV series at Fox ...
- 2013–01–24 Chin Chin, ‘Don’t Wanna Be Prisoners’ (1985)
- 2013–01–24 Charles Reznikoff, ‘By the Waters of Manhattan’
- 2013–01–24 Rubber-tree plant
Quote Henry Hubbard, congressional correspondent (1959–85): Mel Elfin, who went on to become the Washington bureau chief, once did a cover on psychiatry. ...
- 2013–01–24 Garlic knots at Williamsburg Pizza, 265 Union Ave
- 2013–01–24 Owp!
Quote First published in 1968, Judith Kerr’s The Tiger Who Came to Tea continues to be one of the best selling and best loved children’s books in ...
- 2013–01–23 (untitled)
- 2013–01–23 (untitled)
Quote Glen Tomkins 01.23.13 at 6:52 pm Yet another mind wracked on the treacherous shoals of Thucydides.What Victor D is trying to do, ...
- 2013–01–18 Exclamation marks and colons
Quote From James Thurber’s The Ladies’ and Gentlemen’s Guide to Modern English Usage,
The New Yorker 1931.
It is my contention that a ...
- 2013–01–18 (untitled)
Image Fabrico Próprio is Portuguese for “made properly”, and it’s what cafes in Portugal hang in their window if their cakes are made on the premises. ...
- 2013–01–17 (untitled)
Image BYTR, Houseboat, Utrecht, The Netherlands 2012. Exploded view.
- 2013–01–16 Raymond Queneau exercises style
- 2013–01–16 From ‘Walls Paper,’ Gordon Matta-Clark (1973)
- 2013–01–16 57th Street Rag
Quote The Fisk Building had a stolid utilitarian look, like one of Ben Katchor’s cartoon office buildings, and was surrounded by automobile showrooms, at ...
- 2013–01–15 A thing of beauty is a tape dispenser
- 2013–01–15 ‘Six Years’ show at the Brooklyn Museum
Clip Chronologically documenting books, exhibitions, and individual works, the original Six Years was methodological in its format — with citations of ...
- 2013–01–14 Excerpt from ‘Soy Cuba’ (1964, d. Mikhail Kalatozov)
- 2013–01–14 Stills from ‘Memories of Underdevelopment’ (1968, d. Tomás Gutiérrez Alea)
- 2013–01–14 (untitled)
- 2013–01–14 This strangely-neglected topic
Quote The MLA jobs tumblr lampoons the tendency of US institutions to make increasingly impossible demands of those hires they do make (‘The person ...
- 2013–01–14 From ‘Bartleby & Co’ (2001), Enrique Vila-Matas
- 2013–01–13 The Reveille dynasty
Quote Reveille is the official mascot of Texas A&M University. Students adopted the first Reveille, a mixed-breed dog, in 1931. To thank Texas A&M ...
- 2013–01–12 Word association
Quote football (n.)open-air game, first recorded c.1400; see foot (n.) + ball (n.1). Forbidden in a Scottish statute of 1424. The first reference to the ball ...
- 2013–01–11 (untitled)
Quote Earlier this season, Harbaugh described public concern over Alex Smith’s confidence as “gobble gobble turkey.” And, coach, what is gobble gobble ...
- 2013–01–08 Elephants
Quote When he receives the papers, Mr. Depardieu will become a Russian citizen, liable only for a flat, 13 percent income tax rate, compared with the 75 ...
- 2013–01–07 Callimachus in Context
Quote He had the huge job, which he carried out in exemplary fashion, of creating, virtually ex nihilo, a catalogue raisonné, known as the Pinakes ...
- 2013–01–05 R&R
During two extended tours for the USO in 1944 and 1945, Marlene Dietrich performed for Allied troops on the front lines in Algeria, Italy, England ...
- 2013–01–04 From ‘The 100 Greatest Sports Photos of All Time’
Image Joe Namath, Bills at Jets — Dec. 8, 1974.
Roberto Clemente, Padres at Pirates — June 16, 1972.
Carmen Basilio and Tony DeMarco, ...
- 2013–01–04 Pump full of lead
Quote Well, here’s one possibility: Pb(CH2CH3)4.
In 1994, Rick Nevin was a consultant working for the US Department of Housing and Urban ...
- 2013–01–04 Most Read Topics
Quote Books and Literature
Cooking and Cookbooks
Actors and Actresses
Computers and the ...
- 2013–01–03 R6 cigarette packs, Lubalin studio, 1967–8
- 2012–12–31 Umberto Eco’s lists
Quote Eco: Look, ever since the days of Aristotle, we have been trying to define things based on their essence. The definition of man? An animal that acts in ...
- 2012–12–29 Dear Viola
Quote ‘Bad taste can be very much a symptom of immorality,’ Mary Whitehouse wrote to one of her supporters. They knew what was good, based on a solid ...
- 2012–12–24 Wam-doodler
Quote Patsy Cline was born Virginia Hensley in Winchester in 1932, the first child of a 43-year-old blacksmith with his 16-year-old bride. Her mother, Hilda, ...
- 2012–12–22 Toothbutter
Quote tandsmør: noun. Butter spread so thickly as to reveal teeth marks upon biting.
Fru Storm said, November 13, 2012
Tandsmør goes very well with ...
- 2012–12–14 Brian Dillon on ‘Aspen’
Text In August 1971 the US Postal Service wrote to Phyllis Johnson, the publisher of Aspen, an arts and culture quarterly then in its sixth year, to inform ...
- 2012–12–12 (untitled)
Image D.D. and Leslie Tillet, 1947
- 2012–12–11 Mladen Stillnović, 1993
Quote My observation and knowledge of Western art has lately led me to a conclusion that art cannot exist any more in the West. This is not to say that there ...
- 2012–12–11 Messi’s magic tricks
Text On Feb. 26, with Barcelona tied, 1-1, against Atletico Madrid in the 81st minute, Messi curled a free kick from 25 yards with impeccable accuracy and ...
- 2012–12–10 (untitled)
Video Polaroid SX-70 advertisement by the Eames office, 1972
- 2012–12–10 Bruno Munari in ‘Domus,’ 1944
- 2012–12–06 Box 1, Folder 1
Image Riot Grrrl Collection. Fales Library and Special Collections, NYU.
- 2012–12–06 (untitled)
Image Superstudio, Passiflora. Lamp, 1968. Collection Vitra Design Museum.
- 2012–12–06 (untitled)
- 2012–12–05 (untitled)
Image Cocktail wallpaper. United States, 1936-56. Gift of Suzanne Lipschutz. 1991-89-110.
- 2012–12–05 First appearance of ‘Bellini’
Quote 1956 Mary McCarthy Venice Observed 19/1 Harry’s Bar has a drink called a Tiziano, made of grapefruit juice and champagne and colored pink with ...
- 2012–12–04 Sanyo Stereo Music Center
- 2012–12–04 Talulah Gosh, 1986
Image L-R: Mathew Fletcher, Elizabeth Price, Amelia Fletcher, Chris Scott and Peter Momtchiloff
- 2012–12–04 Ed Ruscha at LACMA
- 2012–12–04 Urban Dictionary: Oak Cliff
Quote A large community located in the Southwest part of Dallas known for being one of the rowdiest parts of the city. Oak Cliff is made up of almost ...
- 2012–11–30 Chief Mouser of Downing Street
Image Larry is the latest in a long line of official mousers at Downing Street, including stalwart ratter Humphrey, who served under Margaret Thatcher and ...
- 2012–11–30 Petting parties
Quote Shifter glossary
Oil Burner: girl who chews gum
Princess Mary: girl about to be married
Dud: a Flapper who can’t keep in the swim
Young Otis: chap ...
- 2012–11–29 From a letter from Frederick Engels to his sister, 1840
Quote Moustaches always were the pride
Of gallant gentlemen far and wide.
Brave soldiers faced their country’s foes
In brown or black mustachios.
So, in ...
- 2012–11–28 Saul Steinberg’s Manhattan
Quote An early impression of the city [in 1942], which he summarized in three words, proved indelible: “diners, girls, cars.” He wrote that he ...
- 2012–11–27 We will always have Parisians!
Quote Thin, pale, and refined, Apollonia Poilâne is more of a baguette of a woman than a miche. “I do not believe in making one bread with hazelnuts, ...
- 2012–11–26 (untitled)
Quote [Derrida] also had a strong distaste for the public prises de position by which French intellectuals transformed themselves into celebrities. While ...
- 2012–11–23 Electro ⚡ Pounce
- 2012–11–21 Texts about yellowism
Text Rothko said his paintings begin an unknown adventure into an unknown space. I think that especially “Black on Maroon” with the title “A potential ...
- 2012–11–21 Architectural Forum Magazine Covers, 1949–1953
Image June 1953
Proposed UNESCO headquarters in Paris by Marcel Breuer, Pier Luigi Nervi & Bernard Zehrfuss
- 2012–11–20 If-by-whiskey
Quote The label if-by-whiskey refers to a 1952 speech by Noah S. “Soggy” Sweat, Jr., a young lawmaker from the U.S. state of Mississippi, on the ...
- 2012–11–20 ‘When Dean Young Talks About Wine,’ Tony Hoagland (2003)
Quote The worm thrashes when it enters the tequila.
The grape cries out in the wine vat crusher.But when Dean Young talks about wine, his voice is strangely ...
- 2012–11–20 Stills from ‘The Black Power Mixtape: 1967-1975’
- 2012–11–16 To Have And Have Another
- 2012–11–15 Architektonika 2—
Clip Still from Anri Sala’s Dammi I Colori.
In this ambitious show at the Hamburger Bahnhof, works displayed intersect and conflict, making apparent ...
- 2012–11–14 Canada’s national dish
Quote … This makes Kraft Dinner, not poutine, our de facto national dish. We eat 3.2 boxes each in an average year, about 55 percent more than ...
- 2012–11–14 The lemony Richard Burton
Text Burton’s diaries, published now for the first time, are filled with these kinds of pocket-size delights. I grapple-snapped my way through them and ...
- 2012–11–14 ‘Study For A Fence And A Wall,’ 2006
Text The fence/wall could be built, Mr. King explained, using a slipform machine to lay a concrete foundation in a 5-foot deep trench cut into the desert ...
- 2012–11–14 Lulu & Po, 154 Carlton Avenue
Image Firehouse chicken ($18). Marinated 14-hrs w/ sugar and paprika and seared under cast-iron, w/ roasted sunchokes.
Burger ($12). DeBragga beef ...
- 2012–11–13 Herman Wouk at 97
Quote Old enough to remember Simon and Schuster as actual people (“they were as different as chalk and cheese”), Mr. Wouk has written a novel that is ...
- 2012–11–13 (untitled)
Image Edward Steichen. Portrait of W.B. Yeats for Conde Nast, 1932.
- 2012–11–13 (untitled)
Quote The protagonist of this story has no name. It is known simply as the Chicken, a nonname that seems right, considering its obscure origins. How it came ...
- 2012–11–11 Ignoreland
Quote 35. Phil 11.10.12 at 3:33 pm
+1 to Uncle Kvetch. I’d forgotten quite how much I hated Reagan (and why). Thinking of all the political leaders I’ve ...
- 2012–11–10 Occupy, 1978
Quote From A Manual For Manuel, Julio Cortázar. 1978.
So just wait till I tell you about another form of response that only yesterday raised a big ruckus ...
- 2012–11–09 (untitled)
Image Marc Riboud. Wembley Stadium, 1954.
- 2012–11–09 Donut District
Image Donut District is the complex of galleries in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn, that includes Primetime, 247365 and Know More Games. And Dunkin Donuts.
- 2012–11–07 (untitled)
Image Decoy. Chrisopher Specce. Sapele and maple, 10” × 5” × 7.5”.
- 2012–11–06 The photograph as truth-claim or art-object
Quote Is photography a way of documenting the world that has an inherent “truth-claim” on the real? Or is it, as Steichen suggested, essentially graphic, ...
- 2012–11–06 Bruced out
Quote … This material is well known. The Springsteen obsessive — I rate myself at about an 8.1 out of a possible 10 — will hunt instead for ...
- 2012–11–02 From ‘Privy Seal’ (1907) by Ford Madox Ford
Quote A boy brought her a trencher filled with chopped things, and a man in a blue jerkin came to her side bearing a middling pig, seared to a pale clear ...
- 2012–10–30 Sargent, ‘Robert Louis Stevenson and His Wife’ (1885)
Image Oil on canvas, 52.1 × 62.2 cm. Private collection.
- 2012–10–30 Horizon of mud
Quote We all knew which neighbourhoods faced the most immediate danger – Battery Park, Red Hook, Rockaway – but it wasn’t until late last night, safe ...
- 2012–10–24 Edwin Georgi for the Saturday Evening Post, 1950s
- 2012–10–24 Stories from the New Aesthetic
Clip … Especially in the most frequently-used networked interfaces, the pattern-matching of machines in bits of software appears to intimately ...
- 2012–10–23 Lance Wyman: identity for 1968 Mexico Olympics
- 2012–10–23 Rosemary Hill remembers Sylvia Kristel
Quote It must have been almost exactly ten years later that I met Sylvia Kristel when she opened her front door to me in Ghent. It was just after Christmas. ...
- 2012–10–23 Himmler’s hobby horses
Quote To an extraordinary degree, the proclivities of the leader shaped the public life of the organisation. Even as a very young man, Himmler had ...
- 2012–10–22 The human microbiome
Quote “I thought he was nuts,” Goldberg told me. He never gave the encounter another thought—until a couple of years ago, when he begun to ...
- 2012–10–21 Website of ArtAsiaPacific magazine
- 2012–10–21 (untitled)
Image Robert Brownjohn. Preparatory study for Goldfinger title sequence. 1964. Silver-gelatin print. Photograph by Herbert Spencer. The Museum of Modern Art, ...
- 2012–10–16 Interview with Rosalind Krauss
Quote Krauss: Oh, really?Bois: All these people who were branded as attacking formalism kept saying not to dismiss it so fast. Well, that’s where we came ...
- 2012–10–16 Dusen Dusen
Image Brooklyn-based line, created by Ellen Van Dusen. Studied the psychology of design at Tufts University, exploring how we experience aesthetics. Interned ...
- 2012–10–14 Marcello Mastroianni and Federico Fellini, 1960
- 2012–10–12 Early Warhol sketch, Frieze Art Fair
- 2012–10–09 James Wood on ‘realism,’ again
Quote Over the years, Tom Wolfe has campaigned strenuously on behalf of the journalistic role in fiction. In “Stalking the Billion-Footed Beast” and ...
- 2012–10–09 (untitled)
Image Eugen Schönebeck. Majakowski, 1966. Graphite on paper, 38 1/4 × 28 3/4 in.
- 2012–10–08 (untitled)
- 2012–10–05 LP label for ‘Low Life’ (Peter Saville, 1985)
- 2012–10–03 Christopher Tayler on the BBC/HBO ‘Parade’s End’
Quote What’s more, it was non-terrible in unusual ways for a high-end adaptation. Unlike last year’s movie of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, and lots of ...
- 2012–10–02 King Tuff, ‘Screaming Skull’
Quote The Hoagies at about 23 hours agoTingly, metallic, sexy. This riff sounds how it feels to press the tip of your tongue against a 9-volt battery.
- 2012–09–27 Fiorucci shopping bag
Image From Bandboxes and Shopping Bags in the Collection of the Cooper-Hewitt Museum, 1978. Design: Lorraine Wild
- 2012–09–24 (untitled)
Image David Hillman (Pentagram), 1980s layout for the Guardian.
- 2012–09–21 The Mascots, ‘A Sad Boy’ (1965)
- 2012–09–21 Stills from ‘If…’ (1968, d. Lindsay Anderson)
- 2012–09–21 Michael Friedman in the Tombs
Quote After some time, two other men are placed in my cell. They were arrested last night, but because of a leg injury in one man and an unclear condition in ...
- 2012–09–20 The Avalanches: Second Album
Quote The Avalanches have been working on their second album since at least 2005. Seltmann had said that after starting out as “ambient world ...
- 2012–09–19 TM Research Archive
- 2012–09–17 Hôtel Droog, Amsterdam
Image Well, while you can actually spend the night here, there’s only one room. It’s located on the highest level overlooking the surrounding ...
- 2012–09–17 On ‘A Wilderness of Error,’ by Errol Morris
Quote Warner Herzog, the German film director, had promised an unknown filmmaker named Errol Morris that if he completed his first movie, a documentary about ...
- 2012–09–17 Jonathan Rosenbaum’s ‘ten best movies of the 90s’
Quote In alphabetical order.
Actress/Center Stage/Ruan Ling Yu (Stanley Kwan, 1991)
A Brighter Summer Day (Edward Yang, 1991, the ...
- 2012–09–16 Torpedo juice
Quote Torpedo juice is American slang for an alcoholic beverage, first mixed in World War II, made from pineapple juice and the 180-proof grain alcohol fuel ...
- 2012–09–16 Lenox Avenue, Manhattan
Image Photo by Dave Cook
- 2012–09–14 On the ‘Now in Production’ catalog
Clip … Under the dustjacket, the cover is printed black and white, and this detail, along with the newsprint paper stock of the volume, gives the book ...
- 2012–09–13 Politico-psychopathology
Quote According to Adorno, in psychoanalysis only the exaggerations are true. If you wished to characterize the Democrats and the Republicans in terms of ...
- 2012–09–13 Public Books
Image Design by Common Name
- 2012–09–13 Burberry Prorsum S/S 2013
- 2012–09–11 From the critical writings of Ford Madox Ford
Quote [Joseph Conrad and I] agreed that the general effect of a novel must be the general effect that life makes on mankind. A novel must therefore not be a ...
- 2012–09–07 Commes des garçons feature, Interview Russia
Image Photo Jason Kibbler
- 2012–09–06 Containers at the Documenta Archiv, Kassel
- 2012–09–04 At Hamburger Bahnhof, Berlin
Clip Dieter Roth, Gartenskulptur (Garden Sculpture), 1968–, mixed media, dimensions variable.
In the long warehouselike Rieckhallen extension at the ...
- 2012–08–30 Joe Shlabotnik
Quote Joe Shlabotnik is a minor-league baseball player who, inexplicably, is greatly admired by Charlie Brown. He never appears in the strip, but is ...
- 2012–08–30 Peggy Fleming
Image Peggy Fleming, the only U.S. athlete to receive a gold medal in the 1968 Winter Olympics in Grenoble.
- 2012–08–24 Little egg sandwich at Dominique Ansel, Spring Street
- 2012–08–23 Studies in druggies
Quote I would take the stuff on Friday evenings after work and would then spend the whole weekend so high that images and thoughts would become rather like ...
- 2012–08–23 (untitled)
Image Alejandra Pizarnik, Argentine poet (1936-1972)
- 2012–08–22 The bubble
Quote “You did it because you understood the campaign wasn’t about me,” he says, speaking out into a dark space filled with living people who he ...
- 2012–08–20 Excerpt from another ‘Ecstatic Alphabets’ review
Clip … Tauba Auerbach’s bravura RGB Colorspace Atlas at once anatomizes a language of digital color representation and re-encodes it into ...
- 2012–08–17 Poet Laureate of the United Kingdom
Quote The role of Poet Laureate is an honorary position that entails no specific duties, although there is an expectation that the holder will write verse ...
- 2012–08–16 (untitled)
Image Rafaël Rozendaal. 2009, ink on paper, 41 × 31 cm.
- 2012–08–15 Ostriching
Quote Gilberte belonged, during those years at least, to the most widespread variety of human ostrich, the kind that bury their heads not in the hope of not ...
- 2012–08–13 Secret world
Quote Q: In the American dub of “the Secret World of Arrietty” the barrowers refer to the humans as “beans” shortened from “Human Being”. Was ...
- 2012–08–13 From an interview with Lawrence Durrell, 1959
Quote INTERVIEWER Can you summarize what’s wrong with the way we’re living in [England]?
DURRELL The things one notices ...
- 2012–08–09 ‘Graphic Design: Now In Production’
Clip A low-ceilinged space in a former warehouse is an odd place to witness the assembled forces of contemporary graphic design; it’s nonetheless the site ...
- 2012–08–09 Campari-soda bottle, designed by Fortunato Depero (1932)
- 2012–08–08 Ice cream sandwich at Donatella, 8th Avenue
- 2012–08–07 Students at Vassar College, 1950s
- 2012–08–07 Cover of ‘Vogue,’ January 1927
Image By Eduardo Benito
- 2012–08–07 Gang’s all here, May 2009
- 2012–08–07 Anri Sala, ‘Dammi I Colori’ (2003)
Video var s1 = new ...
- 2012–08–06 John Foster: anonymous photography
- 2012–07–17 Cinema Ritrovato
Image The ‘Cento anni fa’ programme is the brainchild of Mariann Lewinsky, a scholar whose expansive vision is coupled with an infectious enthusiasm; she ...
- 2012–07–13 Lubalin Studio’s design for Visa Travelers Cheque
- 2012–07–08 ‘The Stiletto in Putin’s Side’
Image Opposition activist Ksenia Sobchak in her Moscow restaurant.
At a few minutes before 8 in the morning on the eve of Russia Day last month — the ...
- 2012–07–08 ‘Song Of The Master And Boatswain,’ W. H. Auden
Quote At Dirty Dick’s and Sloppy Joe’s
We drank our liquor straight,
Some went upstairs with Margery,
- 2012–07–05 From ‘The Collected Writings of Joe Brainard’
Quote Joe Brainard’s “Untitled (Bicycle Ace),” 1975.
Mozart is coming out of the machine—real soft—just for company. Like that of a cat, in a ...
- 2012–07–05 Obama on the Upper West Side
Quote Dreams employed very permissively a technique the literary theorist Michael André Bernstein has called ‘backshadowing’: a device of conventional ...
- 2012–07–04 ‘A Farewell to Arms’: alternate endings
Quote And in No. 34, the “Fitzgerald ending,” suggested by Hemingway’s friend F. Scott Fitzgerald, Hemingway wrote that the world “breaks ...
- 2012–07–04 (untitled)
Quote According to the Standard Model, the Higgs boson is the only manifestation of an invisible force field, a cosmic molasses that permeates space and ...
- 2012–07–03 Fred Astaire, from ‘Funny Face’ (1957)
- 2012–07–02 Nora Ephron, from ‘Heartburn’ (1983)
Quote I have no problem with [Lillian Hellman’s] political persona, or with her insistence on making herself the centerpiece of most of the historical ...
- 2012–06–29 Lunch again today!
Quote The much-tweeted-about Lena Dunham has said her father finds Twitter “infinitely unrelatable”: “He’s like, ‘Why would I want to tell anybody ...
- 2012–06–29 ‘Marxism’ at the 303 Gallery
Image Richard Prince
You Bet Your Life
Ink Jet and acrylic on canvas
115 × 148 inches overall
- 2012–06–29 (untitled)
Image … Yet how will this data-heavy approach translate to other sports, those based on more qualitative data, and what might this tell us about ...
- 2012–06–27 John McPhee: The Writing Life
Quote “He always said that he wanted to publish authors, not books. This principle contained not only an admirable loft but also a faint implication ...
- 2012–06–27 Summer attitude: Watts, July 1966
Image More here.
- 2012–06–25 Red one-piece
Image The logo of Portland knitting company Jantzen, origin of the swimsuit, 1920.
How far we’ve come only makes it all the more striking that Fawcett’s ...
- 2012–06–25 Tati Cotliar, Chinatown
Image Photo: Casey Brooks
- 2012–06–22 List of Peanuts characters
Quote Charlie Brown
The main character; a lovable guy, dominated by insecurities
Charlie Brown's lovable dog
Linus van ...
- 2012–06–22 Little golf pencil
Text By Mary Ruefle, from Issue 13 of Ecotone. Madness, Rack, and Honey, a collection of Ruefle’s writings on poetry, will be published next month by Wave ...
- 2012–06–22 Manual Scan, ‘New Difference’ (1984)
- 2012–06–22 More on Monroe
Quote David Thomson has high standards in film stars and he imposes rather firm rules about how they ought to twinkle, but he isn’t being fair to Marilyn ...
- 2012–06–22 Chwast/Rodchenko
Image Alexander Rodchenko. Poster for the Soviet publisher Gosizdat, 1924. (Pictured: Lilya Brik)
Seymour Chwast Collection. From Series 7. Color positive ...
- 2012–06–20 Richard Dawson (1932–2012)
- 2012–06–19 (untitled)
- 2012–06–19 ‘Ecstatic Alphabets/Heaps of Language’
Clip MOMA — THE MUSEUM OF MODERN ART
11 West 53rd Street
May 6–August 27
View of “Ecstatic Alphabets/Heaps of Language,” ...
- 2012–06–17 (untitled)
- 2012–06–15 (untitled)
Image Prill Vieceli Cremers: Poster for the Rainer Werner Fassbinder month at the Xenix Cinema in Zurich (2012)
- 2012–06–13 Flying cars, technology and labor
Text The usual move in science fiction is to remain vague about the dates, so as to render “the future” a zone of pure fantasy, no different than Middle ...
- 2012–06–13 Igor Savchenko, ‘Alphabet of Gestures’ (1989-96)
- 2012–06–12 Rachel Comey, Resort 2012
- 2012–06–11 On Chinese signage in Hergé
Text One prevalent poster is an advertisement for Siemens (西門子, ‘Xi-men-zi’), which had run factories in China since 1899. Indoors there are ...
- 2012–06–11 Numero to reissue slew of Shoes LPs
Image After we got talking with Jeff Murphy from Shoes about including them on Buttons: From Champaign To Chicago, it occurred to us that we were standing on ...
- 2012–06–08 Mack & Manco (Ocean City, NJ)
Image via Serious Eats
- 2012–06–08 Summer attitude: Rizzo
Image Stockard Channing, 1978
- 2012–06–08 Alexander Girard in his studio, 1967
Image Photo: Herman Miller Archives
- 2012–06–07 From ‘Transits of Venus’ by Richard A. Proctor, 1883
- 2012–06–06 ‘Don’t Come Around Here No More’
Quote “Don’t Come Around Here No More” is a song written by Tom Petty of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and David A. Stewart of the ...
- 2012–06–04 Lindsey Buckingham, ‘Never Going Back Again’ (1997)
- 2012–06–04 On ‘Cancelled…’
Clip THE CENTER FOR BOOK ARTS
28 W 27th Street, 3rd Floor
April 18–June 30
View of “Canceled: Alternative Manifestations and Productive Failures,” ...
- 2012–06–01 Bitesize models by Gary Panter
- 2012–05–31 (untitled)
Image Floris van Dyck. Still Life, 1613. Oil on canvas, 49.5 × 77 cm. Frans Hals Museum, Haarlem.
- 2012–05–29 Orhan Pamuk’s museum
Quote Ten years later, Pamuk came up with an insane plan: to write a novel in the form of a museum catalogue, while simultaneously building the museum to ...
- 2012–05–29 ‘The Solar Microscope,’ in Child’s magazine, Volume 2 (1816)
- 2012–05–29 From a review of ‘Laguna Beach,’ 2005
Quote “Laguna Beach” is ingeniously shot. With photography by Hisham Abed, this reality series looks like no other; it is the best-looking show ...
- 2012–05–29 Totokaelo’s brick and mortar store
- 2012–05–25 Interview with Royal Headache
Text 1. Big Star – Radio CityNo one has ever been this badass at guitar. Alex Chilton is probably my favorite guitarist of all time, these are his guitar ...
- 2012–05–24 Jonas Wood, ‘Interiors’
- 2012–05–24 P.G. Wodehouse Quote Generator
Quote The fishy glitter in his eye became intensified. He looked like a halibut which had been asked by another halibut to lend it a couple of quid till ...
- 2012–05–24 Titan, multi spectral overlay
Image This image shows Titan in ultraviolet and infrared wavelengths. It was taken by Cassini’s imaging science subsystem on Oct. 26, 2004, and is ...
- 2012–05–24 Richard Belzer
Quote Homicide: Life on the Street (NBC)Law & Order (NBC)The X-Files (Fox)The Beat (UPN)Law & Order: Trial by Jury (NBC)Belzer's appearance on Trial ...
- 2012–05–23 (untitled)
Image Bar tray, 1900–1930. The New-York Historical Society, Gift of Bella C. Landauer, 2002.1.3205
- 2012–05–22 Waldi
Image Waldi was designed by Otl Aicher and was the first official Olympic mascot. He was created for the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich and was modeled on a ...
- 2012–05–22 Tall Dwarfs, ‘The Slide’
Video From the Dogma EP (1987)
- 2012–05–18 Michael Merriam: ‘Brothel, Washington DC’
Text I always hesitate and breathe deeply before I tell any of these stories. I don’t really know what they mean. Looking back, despite all my ...
- 2012–05–16 The making of Marilyn Monroe
Text Bette Davis and Olivia de Havilland had challenged and defeated the contract system. Katharine Hepburn contrived her own material as early as The ...
- 2012–05–16 Yeats, probably January 1939
- 2012–05–15 (untitled)
Quote @egabbert I think poems, like poets, should end in despondency and madness. I don't care how they begin as long as it's iambic.— Sarang ...
- 2012–05–13 James Thurber, ‘Our Own Modern English Usage: After Reading a Book on the Subject’
Text The Buried Whom, as it is called, forms a special problem. That is where the word occurs deep in a sentence. For a ready example, take the common ...
- 2012–05–11 Lorine Niedecker, 1970
Image 003.19.164, the Historic Fort Atkinson Collection, University of Wisconsin Library
- 2012–05–11 Hugh Kenner on the Oxford English Dictionary
Quote Set promised trouble as early as 1881, when James Murray, the chief editor, came to doubt if the language contained a more perplexing word. An ...
- 2012–05–11 Interview with Michel Houellebecq
Quote INTERVIEWER Why don’t you live in France? HOUELLEBECQ Partly to pay fewer taxes and partly to learn your beautiful language, madam. And because ...
- 2012–05–10 François Truffaut with bubble-blowing Dumbo toy
- 2012–05–10 (untitled)
Image Vidal Sassoon futzing with Mia Farrow’s hair for Rosemary’s Baby, 1968
- 2012–05–08 We can perceive guitars
Video Fuyuki Yamakawa. ATOMIC GUITAR model No. 1 + model No. 2 Stratocaster-type, 2011. Performance for Snow Contemporary, Art Fair Tokyo 2012.
Two canary ...
- 2012–05–08 (untitled)
Image Xu Bing. First Class, 2011. Cigarettes, adhesive, carpet. Installation view of part of Bing’s “Tobacco Project” at the Virginia ...
- 2012–05–08 (untitled)
Image Berndnaut Smilde. Nimbus II, 2012. Cloud in room. Hotel MariaKapel, Hoorn. [Video] Lambda print, 75 × 112 cm: Cassander Eeftinck Schattenkerk.
- 2012–05–07 A critic and his cheese
Quote The Stilton stood encumbered with a swaddling band, girded about with a cincture, scooped out on top like a crater of the moon. It was placed in front ...
- 2012–05–07 The Magic Flute, summary of Act 2, Scenes 4–7
Quote Scene 4: A hall in the temple of OrdealTamino and Papageno must again suffer the test of silence, a more difficult variation this time: An old woman ...
- 2012–05–06 Grendel
Quote An illustration of Grendel by J.R. Skelton from Stories of Beowulf. Grendel is described as “Very terrible to look upon.”
The poem Beowulf ...
- 2012–05–04 Millennium Magazines, at MoMA through 14 May
Image Showpaper, no.110: Tod Seelie, July 26-Aug. 9, 2011; John Mejias; no.120: Casey Farnum
- 2012–05–04 David Weiss, 1946–2012
Quote Peter Fischli and David Weiss, from the Equilibriums series, 1984–5
Peter Fischli: The little book of questions, includes the question: ‘Do I ...
- 2012–05–04 Anthony Andrews, 1981
- 2012–05–04 Elizabeth Bishop to Robert Lowell, 1949
Quote I haven’t been able to “work” at all, so spend most of my time very pleasantly sitting on my balcony blowing bubbles.
- 2012–04–30 Tolstoy vs. Dostoevsky in 8 rounds
Quote Marcia Miner at 11:23 am on April 27, 2012
I covered Susan Sontag who gave a public lecture in 2000 at Fairfield University. She recalled the ...
- 2012–04–30 ‘Pride & Prejudice’ in the editorial style of The Economist
Quote Comment 15. Neville Morley, 04.30.12 at 10:39 am
The Bennet household is in desperate need of far-reaching reform, as it faces up to the consequences ...
- 2012–04–30 Punch and Judy
Quote Along with Punch and Judy, the cast of characters usually includes their baby, a hungry crocodile, a clown, an officious policeman, and a prop string ...
- 2012–04–30 Mestizaje
Quote The book tells many similar tales of white Americans (gabachos, he says, is the term Mexican-Americans use; gringo is now used only by gabachos) who ...
- 2012–04–27 Exhibition views from ‘The Stuff That Matters’
- 2012–04–26 Lucian Freud at the National Portrait Gallery
Image ‘Girl with Beret’ (1951-52).Long before he was using paint as a blistering variant of flesh, the pictures had another sort of realism. The early ...
- 2012–04–25 Choccupy
Quote To celebrate President Obama’s inauguration, Ben & Jerry’s released a flavor called Yes! Pecan. What about an Occupy-themed flavor? ...
- 2012–04–25 Raymond Roussel at his own expense
Text Born in 1877 on the boulevard Malesherbes, a few doors down from the Prousts, Roussel grew up in obscene luxury (the family home contained both the ...
- 2012–04–19 Spring pallor
Image Photograph by Charlie Rubin. Styled by Siri Thorson. Hair by Marcel Dagenais. Makeup by Candace Henderson. Model Britt Lower.
- 2012–04–12 Oh, guess that roll expired
- 2012–04–11 Textiles collected by Seth Siegelaub
- 2012–04–10 Insta-gag
Quote jsavino83. What’s funny to me is that, years ago, subjecting people to your photo albums was considered the ultimate imposition. An untold ...
- 2012–04–10 The line-loin problem
Quote I thought this odd problem was caused by watching a bad TV show in which some of the characters have Southern accents. Nope. In wending my way through ...
- 2012–04–09 Gilberte Swann’s letterhead
Quote Better still, the tea-parties themselves to which Gilberte invited her friends, parties which for so long had seemed to me the most insurmountable of ...
- 2012–04–09 Brian Ulrich at Julie Saul Gallery
Clip Brian Ulrich, Circuit City, 2010, color photograph, 24 × 20”.Brian Ulrich’s latest exhibition runs Pop backward through its sausage machine. ...
- 2012–04–09 (untitled)
Quote Progress-minded intellectuals. They are the tricoteuses of the dialectic. As each head falls, they reknit the sleeve of reasoning torn apart by the facts.
- 2012–04–07 (untitled)
- 2012–04–05 Leftover mixes
- 2012–04–05 Tati Cotliar, Oyster 98
Image ph. Benny Horne
- 2012–04–05 Machine a écrire
Image “Machine a Écrire” from the Spécimen Général, Deberny & Peignot, Paris, 1926
- 2012–03–31 Five years of Death By Audio, S 2nd St
- 2012–03–29 Joost Swarte at Martel Gallery, Paris
- 2012–03–29 Handmaiden to an idea
Quote But Hollywood has a glut of young actresses who have more than that to offer—they have talent, and that talent isn’t being put to full use in ...
- 2012–03–28 Roy Lichtenstein, ‘Bull I-VI’ (1973)
- 2012–03–28 Yellow print with stroke, 2
- 2012–03–28 Yellow print with stroke, 1
- 2012–03–26 The ‘Cooley High’ style (1975)
- 2012–03–26 Simon Reynolds and son
Quote We were playing chess and as he mused on his next Dad-destroying move, Kieran (12-and-a-half) sang a little made-up song. And then in the midst of this ...
- 2012–03–26 MLA rankings of American writers
Quote Ordered by “the amount of scholarship.” Changes in position noted in brackets.
Henry James (3,188 items) [+1]
William Faulkner ...
- 2012–03–23 Christopher Reid, ‘H. Vernon’
Quote The butcher, tired of his bloody work
has made a metaphysical joke:Five pigs’ heads on a marble counter
leer lopsidedly out of the windowand scare ...
- 2012–03–23 A political definition of resentment
Quote COMMENT 50 | Bruce Wilder 03.20.12 at 1:30 am
What is “resentment”, if not the antonym of “admiration”? Certainly, it is ...
- 2012–03–23 T.J. Clark: Picasso in England
Text Picasso, ‘The Source’ (1921); Henry Moore, ‘Reclining Figure’ (1936).Again the question is distance and literalness. At the root of modernism ...
- 2012–03–22 Tostilocos
Quote Menu at Berta Nava’s shop in Escondido (Sandy Huffaker)
“It’s everything at once,” Abraham Hernandez said as he jabbed a fork into a ...
- 2012–03–20 Pledge of allegiance
Quote On Jan. 1, after a new state law targeting Mexican-American studies courses that are perceived as antiwhite was upheld, it became illegal to teach ...
- 2012–03–16 Waanaki, vintage clothing for children 0–6
- 2012–03–16 Economics exceptionalism
Quote My best analogy to economics exceptionalism is Freudianism in the 1950s: Back then, Freudian psychiatrists were on the top of the world. Not only ...
- 2012–03–16 (untitled)
Quote The sky was blue. Except for sky you couldn’t see anything. Later, when I was moved to Camp Delta, I could look by the windows. The camp was ringed ...
- 2012–03–15 Lauren Bacall, 1944
- 2012–03–04 (untitled)
Quote “What, in the end, makes advertisements so superior to criticism?” Walter Benjamin had asked some ten years prior. “Not what the ...
- 2012–02–24 The big contemporary questions
There is a constant clamour for novelists to “take on big contemporary questions”, as a recent Guardian opinion piece put it – to leave ...
- 2012–02–20 Wardrobe model’s own
Image "Kenneth Clark's Civilisation: A Personal View" (1969) as fashion editorial
- 2012–02–19 Jane Birkin in Elle France, 13 January 1975
Image Photograph by Lothar Schmid
- 2012–02–17 Flashy trickiness, artful dodging and general smartalecness
Quote The secret of Jeremy Lin's success?
- 2012–02–17 Cast Away, Greenpoint
- 2012–02–16 David Graeber on jubilee
Quote David Johnson: At the end of the book, you suggest one policy proposal of a sort, namely a jubilee, or a cancellation of all debts.David Graeber: Well, ...
- 2012–02–16 Richard Rorty on Saul Kripke, 2005
Quote As I see it, Kripke’s lectures in 1970 aroused the interest they did not because people cared all that much about which truths should be called ...
- 2012–02–15 Fontana Modern Masters
Image Page from Eye 74 (2009) depicting the covers of Fontana Modern Masters, introductory paperbacks on modern thinkers. Edited by Frank Kermode, the ...
- 2012–02–14 From Chris Benz’s Fall 2012 collection
- 2012–02–14 Cha siu bao, Valentine’s Day at Jess Bakery (221 E 23rd St)
- 2012–02–14 Lengua franca
Quote One of the characteristic specialties of the Alamo City is the puffy taco. This consists of stewed, braised, or barbecued meats deposited in a tortilla ...
- 2012–02–13 Superstudio in Domus 479, 1969
- 2012–02–10 Letter from James Joyce to his grandson, 1936
Quote The lord mayor asked him how much money he wanted for making such a bridge. No money at all, said the devil, all I ask is that the first person who ...
- 2012–02–10 Interview with John Jeremiah Sullivan
Quote JJS: Only from a distance. I really like to read everything that Kevin Baker writes about politics. He’s better known as a writer of historical ...
- 2012–02–09 Also from Robert Walser’s ‘Berlin Stories’ (1907; t. Susan Bernofsky)
Text Meanwhile you have rolled yourself a cigarette, say, and inserted it with great care between your well-practiced lips. With such an apparatus in your ...
- 2012–02–09 From Robert Walser’s ‘Berlin Stories’ (1907; t. Susan Bernofsky)
Text Another lager please! At Aschinger, you quickly adopt a familiar food-and-drink tone of voice; after a certain amount of time there, a person can’t ...
- 2012–02–08 Stills from ‘Loves of a Blonde’ (1965), d. Milos Forman
Image Poster and intro song previously featured here.
- 2012–02–06 Internal resonance
Clip Nick Mauss303 GALLERY547 West 21st StreetJanuary 13–February 18
Crumpled aluminum panels silk-screened with obscure photographic imagery litter ...
- 2012–02–06 New Year menu at Congee Village, 100 Allen St
- 2012–02–03 David Cronenberg’s ‘Total Recall’
Quote I was going to do Total Recall. Like with a lot of Philip Dick stuff the concept of Total Recall was incredible. The beginning was great. It didn’t ...
- 2012–02–03 Mouth surfing
Quote As to not understanding why some of us like to set ourselves on fire with peppers, I recall an anecdote from a book on peppers I read many years ago. ...
- 2012–02–02 Michael Wood reviews ‘The Artist’
Quote The plot line is a bit schematic, resolute in its avoidance of swerves and complications. A new movie star is born, an old star fades. Time passes, ...
- 2012–02–01 Portrait of the journalist Sylvia von Harden as Barbie (2009)
- 2012–02–01 ‘Two major talents’
Image This extraordinary book pairs two major talents of our time, the painter/sculptor/printmaker Jasper Johns and the physician/novelist/filmmaker Michael ...
- 2012–01–26 Dole releases [chilling] critique of Gingrich
Quote In my run for the presidency in 1996 the Democrats greeted me with a number of negative TV ads, and in every one of them Newt was in the ad. He was ...
- 2012–01–25 Die Welt’s all-Ellsworth Kelly issue
Die Welt newspaper, sports sectionDie Welt newspaper, detailDie Welt newspaper, Ellsworth Kelly imagery, Cornelius Tittel Culture EditorDie Welt ...
- 2012–01–24 William Gaddis self-portrait
- 2012–01–24 (untitled)
- 2012–01–20 (untitled)
Quote The male tree squirrel takes twice as long, as the female, to groom itself. They are the cleanest animal in the rodent family. A squirrels teeth ...
- 2012–01–18 Parm’s ice cream cake
Image Pistachio-strawberry-chocolate ice cream cake with whipped cream and rainbow sprinkles. Parm, 248 Mulberry St. New York, NY 10012.
- 2012–01–18 Upside-downstairs cake
Quote Emily Nussbaum on "Downton Abbey"
- 2012–01–15 Luc Sante on the ‘Lost City,’ NYC in the 70s
Quote At that time much of Manhattan felt depopulated even in daylight. Aside from the high-intensity blocks of Midtown and the financial district, the place ...
- 2012–01–13 Ben Furgal, ‘Study For My Glasses’
- 2012–01–12 My little bucket of hair
Quote A fascinating Language Log post about the writer Paul West who “emerged from [a] stroke with a near-total obliteration of language” and how ...
- 2012–01–11 The other Barack
Quote Stanley Ann was self-sufficient and wilful. Her sympathetic biographer, Janny Scott, pictures her dreaming of escape from provincial boredom as she ...
- 2012–01–11 William James on careers
Quote William James believed that the careers we might have chosen don’t matter very much: ‘Little by little, the habits, the knowledges, of the other ...
- 2012–01–10 Stairs, Patterson, NJ
- 2012–01–09 David Bowie, ‘Young Americans’ (Dick Cavett Show, 1974)
- 2012–01–06 Roky Erickson and The Explosives, ‘White Faces’ (1980)
Video holy crap, does this bring back some memories. That was at the Soap Creek Saloon on North Lamar. It was the first time I ever saw Roky live. I remember ...
- 2012–01–06 Mummy as commodity
Quote Michael Neill notes that mummy or mumia was used ‘throughout the Christian West’ well into the early modern period (LRB, 1 December 2011). In fact, ...
- 2012–01–06 David Graeber on bureaucratic technologies
Quote Thursday, January 19, 7pm
The twentieth century produced a very clear sense of what the future was to be, but we now seem unable to imagine any sort ...
- 2012–01–04 The American Restaurant, Kansas City (1974)
Image Warren Platner designed the American Restaurant in Kansas City in 1974 as part of a complex of modern buildings commissioned by the Hall family of ...
- 2012–01–04 Marianne Moore’s Ft. Greene
Quote She lived in Brooklyn at 260 Cumberland Street in Fort Greene; I lived in Hartley Hall on the Columbia campus in Manhattan. We didn’t talk on the ...
- 2012–01–04 There are not too many left
Quote “It was not so unusual in those days to find a bar that was filled only with men,” Mr. Bourscheidt said. “It was quietly known in the gay world ...
- 2011–12–28 Pure cinnamon extract, 4oz.
- 2011–12–28 Supermarket muscle shirt
Image The following stores are represented: Key Food SmartSource C-Town Trade Fair Stop&Shop Food Dimensions Green Acres ...
- 2011–12–27 Helen Frankenthaler, 1928–2011
Quote As a self-described “saddle-shoed girl a year out of Bennington,” Ms. Frankenthaler made her way into the burgeoning New York art world with ...
- 2011–12–25 Advertisements for things that were no longer made
Quote From V.S. Naipaul, The Enigma of Arrival (1988)
We lived, in Trinidad, among advertisements for things that were no longer made or, because of the ...
- 2011–12–23 Andy Warhol smells New York (1975)
Quote When I’m walking around New York I’m always aware of the smells around me: the rubber mats in office buildings; upholstered seats in movie ...
- 2011–12–22 Wilfred Sheed, 1930–2011
Image Photograph by Leonard Mccombe
Sheed’s essays — misanthropic yet Nabokovian and light on their feet — embraced what he called “the whole crazy ...
- 2011–12–20 Hedy Lamarr and George Antheil
Quote Hedwig Kiesler, at the time she met Mayer, had just run away from her suffocating life as Mandl’s bride, fleeing with only her luggage and jewelry in ...
- 2011–12–17 Rihanna, “We Found Love” (d. Melina Matsoukas)
- 2011–12–16 Girls of the Golden West #1
Image Joan Crawford in Johnny Guitar (Nicholas Ray; 1954)
- 2011–12–14 Robert Brownjohn
Text By the time the album came out the title had been changed to “Let It Bleed,” but Brownjohn’s design was so powerful that the band ...
- 2011–12–14 M. Wells Winter Carnival
Quote 12:00—6:00 PM, Courtyard M. Wells will host a Winter Carnival in the MoMA PS1 courtyard, complete with a wood-oven duck cassoulet, slices of ...
- 2011–12–14 Enfilade
Image Robert Polidori, Detail from A Portrait of Françoise-Marie de Bourbon, Duchess d’Orleans, Chateau de Versailles, 1991. Color photograph, 50 × ...
- 2011–12–12 Finnish Ruis
Image Nordic Breads’ Finnish Ruis
There’s more to rye bread than what you get at Carnegie Deli. Take, for instance, this Nordic newcomer. It’s a dark, ...
- 2011–12–12 Londongrad
Quote In tsarist times Russian liberals based themselves in London; in Soviet times Russians who wanted uncensored news secretly tuned in to the World ...
- 2011–12–12 On Nicholson Baker’s ‘House of Holes’
Quote There’s a complicated network of motifs: in addition to body-part removal and replacement, recurring images include mountain zebras, women laying ...
- 2011–12–12 Every counterfeit bag on Canal Street
Image In the neighborhood near the 6 Decades shop dealers in counterfeit handbags do a brisk business. It’s illegal, of course, and the actual bags are ...
- 2011–12–09 Optics for ETs
Clip Kitty Kraus, untitled, 2011, mirrors, lightbulbs, dimensions variable. Installation view from We Would Provide Complete Darkness, in the Wyoming ...
- 2011–12–09 Yuichi Yokoyama, ‘Color Engineering’
Image Yuichi Yokoyama, Color Engineering 17, 2005, ink, marker, and screentone on paper, 8 in. x 10 in.
- 2011–12–08 The career of Monte Hellman
Text For his most significant outings as director, however, he enjoyed remarkable latitude: Corman trusted him to do what he wanted with the westerns and ...
- 2011–12–08 Feminism in the expanded field
Quote ‘Pornography today is increasingly violent, body-punishing, degrading and woman-hating,’ it says on Object’s press release, which is ...
- 2011–12–07 Harry Morgan, 1915–2011
Image Harry Morgan as Col. Sherman T. Potter on “M*A*S*H.”
- 2011–12–06 Tell me what you want, what you really, really want
Image Tell Me What You Want, What You Really, Really Want
by Jan Verwoert
2010. Berlin, Germany. Sternberg PressThe first compilation of writings by Jan ...
- 2011–12–06 All-cotton non-iron extra-slim fit end-on-end solid dress shirt
Image Pure cotton broadcloth made with pucker-free seams and specially treated to remain virtually wrinkle free. Cornwall collar. Signature shirring at ...
- 2011–12–06 The Federal Standard Color Palette
Quote The blue of rest stops (F.S. No. 15090), the brown of recreation signage (F.S. No. 10055), and acres of instructional green (F.S. No. 14115) sprang ...
- 2011–12–05 Battenberg cake
Image Battenberg cake is a light sponge cake. When cut in cross section, displays a distinctive two-by-two check pattern alternately coloured pink and yellow.
- 2011–12–05 Barton’s Bonbonniere, 1952
Image Barton’s Bonbonniere, New York City. Architect, Victor Gruen. Graphics consultant Alvin Lustig.
- 2011–12–05 Illustrations by Tim Lahan
- 2011–12–02 ‘Capital’ No. 1, designed by Karl Gerstner (1962)
Image “The square consits of 58×58 units. The fascinating thing here is that-with a constant intercolumnar space of 2 units-all of the different ...
- 2011–12–02 William Hazlitt on Edmund Burke (1819)
Text Burke was an acute and accomplished man of letters – an ingenious political essayist … He had the power of throwing true or false weights ...
- 2011–12–02 Temporality and immigrant cuisine
Quote I find immigrant populations to be a very interesting study in “authentic” food. You’ll find a lot of people calling “not ...
- 2011–12–01 Doo-wop dreaming
Quote As a single, “Buick 59” b/w “The Letter,” on the DooTone label, might perfectly illustrate that old ...
- 2011–12–01 A park in need of a gate (September 2005)
Quote “He was coming up on me a couple of times,” recalled Captain Henry, the owner of Island Towing and Salvage in Staten Island and a ...
- 2011–12–01 Tom Sachs: Judd × Ikea, 2009
- 2011–12–01 ‘Back to the Future’ (1995)
Quote The high 60s cut deep: that is what all concerned meant to do. The attraction of those dark scenes in Blow-Up (1966) and Performance is underlined by ...
- 2011–11–29 Tati Cotliar in ‘Stonefox’ No. 1
Image Photographer: Christopher Ferguson
- 2011–11–29 Keehnan Konyha
Quote Keehnan Konyha is an interior designer and writer based in New York. His work has featured in magazines such as Self Service, Apartamento, House & ...
- 2011–11–29 Summary of ‘America’s Sixty Families’ (1937)
Quote In the first two chapters, Ferdinand Lundberg develops his thesis and names the 60 richest American families, based on the tax reports for the years ...
- 2011–11–29 Green bean casserole
Quote The green bean casserole was first created in 1955 by the Campbell Soup Company. Dorcas Reilly led the team that created the recipe while working as a ...
- 2011–11–28 Easy come, easy go
- 2011–11–25 What I Didn’t Write About When I Wrote About Quitting Facebook
Text Another thing I did not write about quitting Facebook was that one of the great social pleasures in my life has been to leave gatherings or parties ...
- 2011–11–25 In Camberwell
Text It is the religious missions and nail bars that seem to do best, especially the missions. You would not know, from the Camberwell Road, that this is a ...
- 2011–11–25 Icons by Susan Kare, 1983
- 2011–11–21 Geoff Nunberg on blogging
Quote It encourages me to add some snippets from the disorganized drawer of Thoughts I have on this topic, some of them from stuff I wrote but never ...
- 2011–11–21 Steve Bishop, ‘Bathtub Curve’ (2011)
Image Javelin, coffee cup, chrome plated shelf. 260 × 20 × 10 cm
- 2011–11–21 Hundred highest-rated TV series, 1950–2000
Quote Twilight Zone (US 1959, 9.4)
The Sopranos (US 1999, 9.4)
The Godfather: A Novel For Television (US 1977, 9.3)
Freaks and Geeks (US 1999, ...
- 2011–11–21 Still from ‘The Nanny,’ S04E13 (1997)
- 2011–11–21 (untitled)
Quote In an uncollected letter to TS Eliot, Pasternak explores their shared aesthetic in ambitiously faulty English. Eliot’s art, he writes, like his ...
- 2011–11–19 How Ya Like Me Now?
Image The other six outdoor artworks were installed without a hitch, but approval for Hammons’ painting to be erected on a DC city-owned parking lot ...
- 2011–11–18 Torrisi Italian Specialties reopens
Quote In preparation for [the reopening of their restaurant], Carbone delved into what he calls “how it used to be” books, such as William ...
- 2011–11–18 Interview with Jacques Pépin
Quote If you only have the technical knowledge, you won’t go that far, but you can still run the kitchen. There are small restaurants at, say, the ...
- 2011–11–16 The new fifty pound note
Quote On the new fifty, Boulton and Watt, provided with what might as well be speech bubbles, seem to be talking to each other about their engine – ...
- 2011–11–16 Barbec’s beer biscuits
Image Barbec’s beer biscuits. We’ve lauded them before by way of Best of Dallas awards, but there’s just no way to truly give them their ...
- 2011–11–15 Boswell
Quote We talked of memory, and its various modes. Johnson. “Memory will play strange tricks. One sometimes loses a single word. I once lost fugaces in ...
- 2011–11–14 Letter to the editors, 1964
Quote To the Editors:As a student of military history I was pleased with John Phillips’ perceptive review of Ladislas Farago’s biography of that “quite ...
- 2011–11–14 Fred Herzog’s early color street photographs
Image Foot of Main, 1968
Boys Wrestling, 1969
- 2011–11–10 Nancy Pelosi’s morning routine
Text During her forty-five-minute walk, she plans her day, touches base with her staff, makes thank-you calls to donors, and keeps up with overnight ...
- 2011–11–09 George Orwell’s defense of English cooking
Text The essay, published in the Evening Standard in December 1945, dwells lovingly on kippers, Yorkshire pudding, bread sauce, Stilton, Oxford marmalade ...
- 2011–11–09 Joe Frazier obituary
Text It was an overpowering modus operandi that led to versions of the heavyweight crown from 1968 to 1973. Frazier won 32 fights in all, 27 by knockouts, ...
- 2011–11–07 Moschino, 1989
- 2011–11–07 The metaphysics of Yuichi Yokoyama
Text Yokoyama’s second graphic novel, the recently translated Garden, also follows the logic of motion from beginning to end, of journey to destination. ...
- 2011–11–07 Poster by Martin Kippenberger, 1984
- 2011–11–07 Rachel Comey
Image Rachel Comey
Since 2001Born in Hartford, Connecticut, 1973. Studied sculpture at University of Vermont; moved to New York and designed ...
- 2011–11–05 Sidelines at the marathon
Text Mile 2
Following the graceful curve of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, runners practically coast into Bay Ridge, their introduction to Brooklyn.
- 2011–10–25 Copiale cipher
Text The original document, nicknamed the Copiale Cipher, was written in the late 18th century and found in the East Berlin Academy after the Cold War. ...
- 2011–10–09 Michel Houellebecq and character
Text Moreover, ‘the simple play of historical forces’ made the post-individual approach increasingly realistic, as human personalities became ...
- 2011–10–09 Tokyo subway posters, 1976-1982
Image The Seat Monopolizer (July 1976) Inspired by Charlie Chaplin’s “The Great Dictator,” this poster encourages passengers not to take up ...
- 2011–10–09 Customer review
Quote Comments about Antennacraft® FMSS Omnidirectional FM Antenna from BUCK, power user in MUNICE, INDIANA:Owned several FM omnitennas. For the size ...
- 2011–10–08 Christopher R. Beha on the ‘realist novel’
Text Wallace didn’t believe that this self-consciousness could be put back in its box or neutralised by the prelapsarian gestures of a book like The ...
- 2011–10–08 Advertising photograph for Ladislav Sutnar China, c. 1930
Image Photo: Josef Sudek (1896-1976)
- 2011–10–08 Aileen’s looking for a roommate
Quote Date: 2011-10-26, 7:12PM EDT
Reply to: firstname.lastname@example.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Looking for a mid to long term roommate ...
- 2011–10–08 ‘Guggenheim Color’ by Fine Paints of Europe (of Woodstock, VT)
Text Beyond the concept itself, which is obviously golden—no, wait, it’s conceptually golden precisely because of the art that was chosen, why ...
- 2011–10–08 Zooey Deschanel Sings the National Anthem
Quote What is there to really say about Zooey D? She, through no act of her own, has convinced a generation of lonely men that she somehow means more than ...
- 2011–10–08 Malai chicken roll
Image 4. Malai Chicken Roll at THELEwala — The explosion of places serving Indian urban street snacks has been a boon to the New York habit of walking ...
- 2011–10–08 What to do with pork tenderloin?
Quote Maybe Pork Felix, my poor boy version of Steak Oscar? Pork medallions marinated, grilled, sliced as usual, topped with alternating spokes of snow crab ...
- 2011–10–08 Milca
Image Milca (12 fl. oz., 99 cents) tastes much like cherry soda, but in the absence of any real fruit flavoring, that subtitle describes the contents as well ...
- 2011–10–07 Queen Victoria silk newspaper
Image Apparently, to commemorate Her Majesty the Queen’s to the Isle of Jersey, The Jersey Herald printed copies of the September 11, 1846 edition of ...
- 2011–10–07 George Hamilton and Robert Mitchum in ‘Home from the Hill’ (d. Minnelli, 1960)
- 2011–10–07 Glenn Ford and Ronny Howard in ‘The Courtship of Eddie’s Father’ (d. Minnelli, 1963)
- 2011–10–07 Tags
Quote TAGS bellboy, buddy, crisps, fridge, guerilla, Hilton, Hong Kong, hotels, kiddie, minibar, peanuts, Robert Arnold, Siegas, St. Peter, Thai Airways, ...
- 2011–10–07 Wax on wax
Quote There are hazards and difficulties in the DJ booth that must be overcome outside of the odd overdrunk attendee: lousy needles, broken or substandard ...
- 2011–10–07 Humphry Slocombe
Quote Hidden happy hour at the ice cream parlor: “Jesus juice” sorbet (red wine and Coke) and “secret breakfast” ice cream (Jim Beam ...
- 2011–10–07 Cover, ‘The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock’ (London, 1917)
- 2011–10–07 “Yeah, that was me. I’m Steve Jobs.”
Quote From Andy Warhol’s Tuesday, 9 October 1984 diary entry. It’s Sean Lennon’s 9th birthday party. We went into Sean’s bedroom ...
- 2011–10–06 Rio de Janeiro: September 2011
- 2011–10–06 i-D magazine, No. 1 (1980)
- 2011–10–06 Postcard from the 49th New York Film Festival
Text A modern story set amid the high-rise reflections and blinking lights of midtown Manhattan, Shame can be looked at as a companion piece to ...
- 2011–10–06 Looking: Elizabeth Bishop
A Bishop poem (watch it closely) goes on looking long after one thinks it should have looked away – from having seen enough, from having got or ...
- 2011–10–06 At the 9/11 Museum
The contributors to Memory Remains worry about an aestheticisation of the remains. There are other troublesome issues to mull over. Early on, the skin ...
- 2011–10–05 Putin’s Rasputin
Text In his spare time Surkov writes essays on conceptual art and lyrics for rock groups. He’s an aficionado of gangsta rap: there’s a picture ...
- 2011–10–05 The pharmacology of zombies
As long ago as 1938, Zora Hurston, a student of Franz Boas at Columbia University, suggested that there could be a material basis for the zombie ...
- 2011–10–05 Mexicatessens
Image La Borinquena, in Oakland, Pepito’s, in Richmond, and Belmar and La Palma, in San Francisco, each self-identifies as a ...
- 2011–10–05 T.S. Eliot’s juvenalia
Quote I guess this must be the 1916 version of The Triumph of Bullshit: Ladies, on whom my attentions have waited
If you consider my merits are small
- 2011–10–05 On Pauline Kael
The conceptions are basically kitsch… popular melodrama-Freud plus scandal, a comic strip about Hearst. Although these words are used by Pauline ...
- 2011–10–05 Little Rhody Poultry Fanciers
Image Res. Champion JR bird—SC white leghorn bantam by Holly Schleicher
- 2011–10–05 The Grand Map
Text Among Mein Herr’s many big ideas, none is as familiar to us as the Grand Map. We use it, or a version of it, on a daily basis. With Google Street ...
- 2011–10–05 Karma
Quote KARMA is a bookstore, gallery and publisher specializing in artist publications, located in the West Village of New York City. In addition to its own ...
- 2011–10–05 Christine Kozlov, ‘Information: No Theory’ (1970)
Image re/decomposition? history is the product of an exercise in remembering and forgetting. the looped reel-to-reel of christine kozlov’s ...
- 2011–10–04 (untitled)
Quote “Vegetable instruments are another way of getting people to be fascinated,” says Gates, who paused briefly to play his carrot clarinet ...
- 2011–10–04 Props: Dorothy’s Ruby Slippers (1939)
Image If you’re sick of buying Loubs (and who isn’t?) and are sitting on a cool two million, a pair of Dorothy’s iconic ruby slippers will ...
- 2011–10–03 Illustration by James Gulliver Hancock
- 2011–10–03 Archie, 8/19/11
Image I’ve always kind of enjoyed the comics convention whereby flying droplets of sweat represent a character’s surprise/bafflement/disbelief ...
- 2011–10–03 Gordon Matta-Clark Postcard
Image SOLD Hand cut 4 × 6 postcard. Unsigned. From the 1977 Image Bank Postcard Show.
- 2011–10–02 Peter Falk
Quote Falk’s right eye was surgically removed when he was three because of a retinoblastoma; he wore a glass eye for most of his life. Despite ...
- 2011–10–02 Saul Steinberg, Graph Paper Building (1950)
Image Trenchant (and prescient!).
- 2011–10–02 Black flower in the white house
Quote As for Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi of Libya, who was killed Thursday after a revolution, Condoleezza Rice adds details about his well-known “eerie ...
- 2011–10–02 (untitled)
- 2011–10–01 Tom Ewing listens to ‘Nevermind’ for the first time
Quote We crave surprise: could there possibly be any left in Nevermind? A little, as it turned out. When I played it — finally! — what jumped out ...
- 2011–10–01 Caleb Crain on ‘Planet of the Apes,’ road rage
Quote Being intelligent inside an ape is like being human inside a car. You’re saddled with a prognathous mask for a face. You’re incapable of ...
- 2011–10–01 “Person wearing ceremonial mask of the Nuhlimahla during…
Image “Person wearing ceremonial mask of the Nuhlimahla during the during the Winter Dance ceremony. These characters impersonated fools and were noted ...
- 2011–10–01 ‘160 km’ at Kid Yellin
Text Elaine Cameron-Weir, 100 (steel), 2011, rolling tobacco, 96 × 5 × 5 in. Kid Yellin is gigantic, and the show is sparsely populated, so there ...
- 2011–09–30 Artaud-Mania
Text Until then, the twenty-two-year-old Fateman hadn't confessed much in her work; her earlier zines (including the series Snarla, cowritten in the early ...
- 2011–09–30 Brian Ulrich, ‘Six Flags Mall, 2009’
- 2011–09–30 Shaggy dog
Quote The commonly believed archetype of the shaggy dog story is a story that concerns a shaggy dog. The story builds up, repeatedly emphasizing how shaggy ...
- 2011–09–30 Dwight Garner: food lit
Quote But the greatest food novel ever written, hands down, is ‘‘The Belly of Paris,’‘ by Emile Zola, published in 1873. Anthony ...
- 2011–09–30 (untitled)
- 2011–09–09 David Graeber on the barter myth
Text Even when strangers met and barter did ensue, people often had a lot more on their minds than getting the largest possible number of arrowheads in ...
- 2011–09–09 Chuck Eddy, King of the Contrarians
Quote Chuck Klosterman writes in the foreword to Chuck Eddy’s Rock and Roll, “[T]he music he likes makes him impossible to understand. If you ...
- 2011–09–09 Harold Bloom as Kurtz
Text Before we get into this any further, I should mention that Bloom and I were once employed by the same academic department. I hasten to add, lest there ...
- 2011–09–09 Israeli falafel
Quote When the Israeli tent protests began, some of the movement’s fiercest critics — outside the Israeli government — were progressive ...
- 2011–09–09 Flying Nun celebrates 30 years
Quote While, it wouldn’t be a party without live music, we also have a bunch of new releases and re-releases out soon on CD, digitally and Vinyl. Plus ...
- 2011–09–09 Fugitive from 1972 hijacking caught
Image James Kerlin (AP) In 1972, dressed as a priest, George Wright was among hijackers who accepted ransom in Miami from an agent in a swimsuit.
- 2011–09–09 Netflix: The Killing
Quote With the precision of a watchmaker, “The Killing” lays out each component of its ingenious racetrack heist in meticulous detail. Even in ...
- 2011–09–08 Toody Cole, ca. 1989
- 2011–09–08 Cornish Pasty
Image The Cornish pasty (pronounced “pah-stee”) is one of the glories of British cooking, an oblong hand-pie with a flaky crust, enfolding cubed ...
- 2011–09–08 Bar, Glendale, NY
- 2011–09–08 ‘Mens Rea’ Legal Protection Erodes in U.S. as Federal Criminal Code Expands
Text As a result, what once might have been considered simply a mistake is now sometimes punishable by jail time. When the police came to Wade ...
- 2011–09–07 The Terrence Malick of rockers
Quote You’ve said in interviews that you’re finding the process of writing songs increasingly mysterious. Can you elaborate on that?
I might ...
- 2011–09–07 Illustration, Marie Claire (1969)
- 2011–09–07 Barney Rosset and the history of Grove Press
Text Steven Brower and John Gall have called the collaboration between Rosset and Kuhlman, which lasted for twenty years, “a marriage of imagery and ...
- 2011–09–07 On Ernest Gellner’s ‘Nations and Nationalism’
Text Pre-modern socities which possess agriculture and literacy, the inhabitants of what Gellner sometimes calls “Agraria,” were economically ...
- 2011–09–06 Gerhard Richter Painting
Image Gerhard Richter Painting (dir. Corinna Belz, 2011)
- 2011–09–05 T206 Honus Wagner
- 2011–09–05 Edward Gorey’s envelopes
Image Equally fascinating is the unlikely story of how Gorey and Neumeyer met in the first place — a story involving a hospital waiting room, a ...
- 2011–09–04 The Weekender
- 2011–09–04 CBS Didot
- 2011–09–04 Rosamond Bernier’s ‘L’oeil’
Image The first cover of my magazine L’OEIL, which appeared January 15, 1955, was a detail of Fernand Leger’s La Grande Parade. We couldn’t ...
- 2011–09–04 Comment
Quote >Glen Tomkins 09.14.11 at 6:35 pmComment 36 said:You can at least make a case that the miseries associated with enclosure and the creation of the ...
- 2011–09–04 Nick Lowe wearing my old glasses
- 2011–09–04 Zhen Zhen Porridge
Image The queue shapes up in early morning and lasts through lunch. Zhen Zhen’s smooth-textured rice porridge comes dressed with chopped spring onions, ...
- 2011–09–04 At Kuai Le Hand Pull Noodles Restaurant, New York 2011
- 2011–09–04 ‘Cleanup Time,’ February 2000
Apple Venus Volume 1
(TVT) Since their outtakes weren’t even rags or bones and their idea of a class pop arranger was the same as Elton ...
- 2011–09–03 ‘Live at the Barbeque’
- 2011–09–03 University of Houston Libraries acquires DJ Screw’s records collection
Quote The majority of this collection was donated by DJ Screw’s father, Robert Earl Davis Sr., with additional support from the John and Rebecca Moores ...
- 2011–09–03 Yve-Alain Bois on Martin Barre
At the time there were few artists among his Parisian group (the JEP) to make such a leap—in fact, Barre instantly lost his support system, the ...
- 2011–09–02 Adam Phillips on Byron
Though Shelley had long been an admirer of Byron’s poetry, their meeting that summer was a consequence of Byron’s previous, rather ...
- 2011–09–02 Website for Built by Wendy, 2011
Image Design by SU
- 2011–09–02 Our 11 Best Places to Eat in Sunset Park, Brooklyn
10. Ba Xuyen – The beloved Vietnamese sandwich shop is open only from 7:30am till 6:30pm, but I’ve known people to hurry home from ...
- 2011–09–02 Lawyer joke
Quote Not long after the Soviets launched Sputnik 1, in 1957, New York City’s Department of Education concluded that one impediment to keeping up with ...
- 2011–09–02 A Global Portrait of Red Tape
Image To preserve a maximum degree of authenticity, he kept the visits unannounced, preventing the subjects from tidying up for the interview. India, Bihar, ...
- 2011–09–01 Hollywood in the Fifties
Text [Louis Menand on Dwight Macdonald:] Before 1962, an educated cultural consumer might understandably have concluded that there was not much in the world ...
- 2011–09–01 Coming up short
Quote I make this ‘covering’ [in short selling] sound routine, but it isn’t, and can go horribly wrong – wherein lies much of the ...
- 2011–09–01 Menu at Hoang Dat, San Francisco
- 2011–09–01 On the serve
Quote Althea Gibson Dwight Davis, a St. Louis native who went on to found the Davis Cup, added a new dimension to the serve in the 1890s, using heavy ...
- 2011–09–01 Jagger
Joking around at the R.C.A. studios in Los Angeles in 1965.
- 2011–08–31 Document: T. S. Eliot to Virginia Woolf
Image 38 Burleigh Mansions, St Martins Lane, London W.C.2.
27 August 1924 My dear Virginia,
Forgive the unconscionable delay in answering your charming ...
- 2011–08–31 Comedian Bill Cosby Shooting Against His Press Agent, Joe Sutton
- 2011–08–31 A Blonde in Love (1965)
Image Woodcut poster for A Blonde in Love by Peter Strausfeld.
- 2011–08–09 Creeper Ohio ‘Double Dwa’
Quote fairly early on, mike rep jumped on the creeper bandwagon and this tape surfaced soon after. contains two kickass 45s ("new hit single" and ...
- 2011–08–09 In Hackney
Text Someone smashed their way into the Texaco garage on the Junction of Mare Street and Well Street. Boys staggered out with boxes of sandwiches and ...
- 2011–08–09 Rainer often likened his film oeuvre to a house he was
Quote Rainer often likened his film oeuvre to a house he was building. He said of his films: “Some of them are windows and others are doors, and others ...
- 2011–08–08 Robin Robertson: ‘Strindberg in London’ (2005)
Quote My new wife fills the bed, fills every room, tells me
it will all be fine. Dragged through other people’s lives,
pursued through my own. What ...
- 2011–08–08 (untitled)
- 2011–08–08 People taking naps with stuff
Image A vendor naps beside packages of cabbages at a food market in Suining, China.
- 2011–08–07 Cover of Oswald Spengler’s ‘Decline of the West,’ Vol II. Published by C.H. Beck, Munich, 1922
- 2011–08–07 Lunch with RuPaul
Text Out of drag, Mr. Charles (Ru to his friends) seems to have the same effect on everyone who meets him. Which is to say you can’t stop grinning. He ...
- 2011–08–06 Still from ‘Kansas City Confidential’ (1952)
- 2011–08–06 The Times film critics take on Keanu
Quote Q. Is Keanu Reeves a Good Bad Actor or a Bad Good Actor? ROBERT SCHROKO DARGIS Who cares? He’s Keanu Reeves, dude, and an excellent movie star, ...
- 2011–08–06 RELI 157/311—Religion and Hip Hop, at Rice
Quote Religion and Hip Hop. Dr. Anthony B. Pinn, Agnes Cullen Arnold Professor of Humanities and Professor of Religious Studies and Bernard “Bun ...
- 2011–08–06 from the New York Times, 15 August 2011
Quote …Fueled by the free espresso offered by pharmaceutical companies hawking their wares, scientists at the Orlando meeting moved from session to ...
- 2011–08–05 Clippings
- 2011–08–05 Shirley Braha’s Weird Vibes
Quote I guess it was nice seeing Matt Pinfield‘s familiar face again, at that epicenter of NYC alt rock Arlene Grocery, but… the show felt safe, ...
- 2011–08–05 Oh look it’s Kate Sheil
Image A scene from Joe Swanberg and Adam Wingard’s Autoerotic. [Photo: IFC Midnight]
- 2011–08–05 (untitled)
Quote “When all the archetypes burst out shamelessly,” Umberto Eco has written of Casablanca, “we plumb Homeric profundity. Two cliches ...
- 2011–08–05 ‘A Book of Secrets’ by Michael Holroyd
Text There’s a small, nearly perfect comic moment not far into Michael Holroyd’s new book, “A Book of Secrets: Illegitimate Daughters, ...
- 2011–08–05 Harou Nakajima in (part of) the original ’54 Godzilla suit
- 2011–08–04 Website of Tauba Auerbach
- 2011–08–04 Archive of Peter Lindbergh editorials, 1979-2011
- 2011–08–04 Jean Patchett by Irving Penn (Vogue, May 1951)
- 2011–08–03 Obama and the dog
Quote “There was a dog?” Obama interrupted. James nodded and said that Cairo was in an adjoining room, muzzled, at the request of the Secret ...
- 2011–08–02 Okra everywhere
Mr. Osei saw Elizabeth Otolizz for the first time when she stopped to eat in his restaurant in the late 1980s and he pointed out that she had spilled ...
- 2011–08–02 Michael Wood on ‘Tree of Life’
Text Let’s get the terrible stuff out of the way first. Characters in the movie keep wondering where God is and why he isn’t doing more to help ...
- 2011–08–02 More on Simon Reynolds
Quote Jacques Attali: “Music is a herald, for change is inscribed in noise faster than it transforms society.” That music has stopped changing, ...
- 2011–08–02 Nickelodeon’s Nineties Nostalgia Block
Quote Ratings are in for Monday night’s first broadcast of the cabler’s new late-night block of late-century Nick sitcoms (All That, Clarissa ...
- 2011–08–02 A list of words for which the first OED quotation is from 1925
Quote a list of words for which the first OED quotation is from 1925: incl. arachnophobia, chewy, Comintern, cuppa, electron volt, enhat (i.e. provide with a ...
- 2011–08–02 Cold Sesame Noodles
Quote Serves 4 as a main or 6 as an appetizer 12 ounces dried spaghetti or Chinese egg noodles 2 tablespoons peanut oil 2 teaspoons minced garlic 2 ...
- 2011–08–02 Cold Noodles with Sesame Sauce
Quote The noodles were, in fact, just one among many other more ambitious and totally exotic Szechuan delights that Shorty would no doubt have preferred to ...
- 2011–08–01 What Riggins wants
Text Riggins is a man of few words, but he says “Texas, Forever” a lot. It’s a fraternal drunken toast around a dwindling bonfire, a ...
- 2011–08–01 Picasso: The Mediterranean Years —
Image Bikini, 1961
- 2011–08–01 The City Closes Motorino’s Williamsburg Location Permanently
The Department of Buildings just shut down Mathieu Palombino’s Motorino, which has sat at 319 Graham Avenue for two and a half years. Last fall, ...
- 2011–08–01 Ed Ruscha and Street View
Text Car as medium … rotating motorized camera … a series of contiguous horizontal images of buildings and the street on which they are situated ...
- 2011–07–31 “It is this deep blankness is the real thing strange”
Quote As the summer of writing papers yields to the fall of trying to find work, one is naturally much troubled by introspection — which, in my case, ...
- 2011–07–31 National Portrait Gallery—2
© estate of Powys Evans Harry Gordon Selfridgeby Powys Evans
ink and watercolour, 1924
20 in. x 14 in. (507 mm x 356 mm)
- 2011–07–31 National Portrait Gallery—1
© National Portrait Gallery, London Winifred Radfordby Meredith Frampton
oil on canvas, 1921
35 1/8 × 29 3/8 in. (892 × 746 ...
- 2011–07–31 100 Dishes To Eat Now—Dish No. 58: Shorty Tang’s Cold Sesame Noodles
Image Birthed in the 1970s and now available for purchase at Smorgasburg, Shorty Tang’s cold sesame noodles are the stuff of both legend and ...
- 2011–07–31 Quicksilver (1986): I Want to Ride My Bicycle.
Image There’s no explanation of why he goes from stockbroker to bike messenger, as apparently these are the only two jobs available in the bay. How ...
- 2011–07–09 NASA Graphic Standards Manual — 1976
As some of you already know, I’m a little obsessed with finding vintage design materials, especially graphics manuals like this one for the 1976 ...
- 2011–07–09 Unicode Character ‘SLICE OF PIZZA’ (U+1F355)
Image Unicode Data Name SLICE OF PIZZA Block Miscellaneous Symbols And Pictographs Category Symbol, Other [So] Combine 0 BIDI Other Neutrals [ON] ...
- 2011–07–08 The Broccoli, Egg, and Cheese at No. 7 Sub
Image The combination of Thai basil pesto and ketchup wouldn’t seem to be the most auspicious accompaniment to egg-and-cheese breakfast sandwich, but ...
- 2011–07–08 Not just one of your holiday games
Quote French law requires that a purebred dog or cat – that is, an animal belonging to one of the breeds listed in the Livre des origines francais or ...
- 2011–07–07 The Camoufleurs
Image Modern camouflage began in 1915, when, after a crushing defeat by the Germans, the French army abandoned their stylish white gloves and red pantaloons ...
- 2011–07–07 About the London Review of Breakfasts
Quote We love going out for breakfast. We love the hungry hours of anticipation before we decide on a venue. We love the splendid taste of expertly cooked, ...
- 2011–07–07 Duke Ellington all over the world
Quote From a 1944 interview
I have special places marked for special dishes. In Taunton, Massachusetts, you can get the best chicken stew in the United ...
- 2011–07–06 The Evergreen Branch
Text On the fabric of every southwest-northeast street of the Bushwick grid, a subtle disjoint somewhere between Irving and Wyckoff Avenues marks the scar ...
- 2011–07–06 Kenji Alt’s sliders
Kenji’s Sliders: An all-American mashup of three burgers: In-N-Out from the West Coast, Telway from Detroit, and White Manna from Jersey.
- 2011–07–06 Cold War Colossus
Image Telephone ExchangeP.A Systems valve amplifierThe BBC BroadcastPrime Ministers BathroomWelcome to The mighty Burlington Bunker at Corsham in ...
- 2011–07–06 Christine Keeler, 1963. Photograph by Lewis Morley.
Image Christine Keeler 1963, Lewis Morley (Australian, born 1925), Gelatin-silver print
The urban myth that the photograph of Christine Keeler astride an ...
- 2011–07–06 Permutations in colour. Exploring the dramatic possibilities and problems of overprinting
Text Below: Spread with colour configurations When I came to write one of the briefs for the new module, I returned to Dramatic color by overprinting for ...
- 2011–07–05 Classic New York Magazine Art-Dealer Profiles
Image Larry Gagosian, in front of a painting by Mark Rothko, New York, September 2, 1991. Photo: James Hamilton
Klaus Kertess and an early Ralph Humphrey, ...
- 2011–07–05 Gertrude Stein on Paris
Here’s Gertrude Stein, from her 1940 book “Paris France,” on the subject of why Paris was the place where her artistic revolution and ...
- 2011–07–05 Food stamps
Quote Food stamps also help stimulate the economy more than other forms of government spending, points out Jim Weill of Food Research and Action Centre, a ...
- 2011–07–05 Richard Serra’s drawings at the Met
Text At the start of Richard Serra Drawing (until 28 August) there are four performance videos from 1968. It is a witty bit of curating, in that each work, ...
- 2011–07–05 More in the middle
- 2011–07–04 The Church of Scientology building in Los Angeles. Paul Mounce.
- 2011–07–04 The 27 Club
Quote 2. Dave Alexander Bassist for legendary punk band the Stooges. Died of pulmonary edema (associated with alcohol) on February 10, 1975. 3. Janis ...
- 2011–07–04 Headline
- 2011–07–03 Marimekko. Finland, 1962.
- 2011–07–03 Andy Warhol’s shoes
Image “Dover Street Market are excited to welcome Ferragamo Men’s shoes to the store, with the limited edition Ferragamo Creations shoe. The ...
- 2011–07–02 World on a Wire
Text The career of Rainer Werner Fassbinder is one of the wonders of the modern cinema—of the entire history of cinema—but it would be hard to ...
- 2011–07–01 Editorial illustration by Chang Park
- 2011–07–01 Marching powder
Quote In “An Anatomy of Addiction” Dr. Markel braids [Sigmund Freud and William Stewart Halsted]‘s stories intricately, intelligently and ...
- 2011–07–01 Snacks—Wendy MacNaughton
Image When I sit down to work, I keep a small bowl of garlic croutons on my desk. These are little rewards for good ideas and strong lines, Pavlovian pellets ...
- 2011–07–01 Katherine Hepburn and Rossano Brazzi in a scene from ‘Summertime’, 1955
Image I love how uncomfortable Katherine Hepburn always looks when forced to gaze lovingly into some co-star’s eyes. It really does not become her. ...
- 2011–07–01 Notorious B.I.G., freestyle age 17
- 2011–06–30 Sainsbury’s packaging design, ca. early 70s
- 2011–06–30 Edward B. Hittleman Brewery
Image The Hittleman name was added to the facade only after other figures had made their mark. Edward Hittleman bought this building in the 1920s and renamed ...
- 2011–06–09 Sylvia Plath on the beach
Image Sylvia Plath and Elizabeth Cantor, Nauset Beach, Cape Cod, 1952. Mortimer Rare Book Room, Smith College.
- 2011–06–09 The Smiling Shaw Machine
Quote The Smiling Shaw Machine Dreamed 1894/4/19 by William Butler Yeats THAT DAY …I listened to [the opening performance of George Bernard ...
- 2011–06–08 Town Musicians of Bremen
Image A bronze statue by Gerhard Marcks depicting the Bremen Town Musicians located in Bremen, Germany. The statue was erected in 1953. Note the front hooves ...
- 2011–06–08 Florence Fabricant at Txantxangorri
Quote If you do not have an earthenware casserole, you can make the whole thing, from stovetop to oven, in enameled cast iron. Rice With Rabbit
- 2011–06–08 (untitled)
Quote … the word ‘crown’ should always be either at the beginning or the end of its line, since only there can it enact itself; unlike, ...
- 2011–06–08 Wolfgang Tillmans at Andrea Rosen
- 2011–06–07 ‘Jerusalem-style bagels’
Image Kingsway Bakery 540 Kings Highway, Brooklyn NY 11223 (map)
- 2011–06–07 Jonathan Rosenbaum on self-hatred
Quote Although it didn’t impress me too much when I first saw it, The King of Comedy has gradually come to seem the most important and resonant of ...
- 2011–06–07 Tactile values & significant form
Text The donnee of his work was that the value of painting lay in its ability to enhance self-consciousness, by means of intense increments of ...
- 2011–06–07 Lil Wayne at Summer Jam 2011
Image Photo: Chad Batka
- 2011–06–07 Bernard Berenson
Text Bernard Berenson. I Tatti, Florence, 1952.
“If small, lithe tigers could speak, they would have the voice and intelligence of this feline Pole. ...
- 2011–06–07 Scott McLemee on ‘Playboy’
Text Well, sure — who can read “Dover Beach” without picturing naked Bunnies frolicking in the waves? Ward strives manfully to render his ...
- 2011–06–07 Excerpt from Marian Engel’s ‘Bear,’ illustrated by Joe Ollmann for Canadian Notes and Queries
- 2011–06–07 6/3 lemon meringue pie
Image 6/3 lemon meringue pie
- 2011–06–07 6/3 peach strawberry pie
Image 6/3 peach strawberry pie
- 2011–06–07 6/3 blueberry nectarine pie
Image 6/3 blueberry nectarine pie
- 2011–06–07 6/3 rhubarb pie
6/3 rhubarb pie
- 2011–06–06 Marcia Angell on psychoactive drugs
Text Some brief—and necessarily quite simplified—background: the brain contains billions of nerve cells, called neurons, arrayed in immensely ...
- 2011–06–06 My Teenage Stride
Image My Teenage Stride Primavera Sound 2011
25.0511A very very pleasent surprise.
- 2011–06–06 Memphis Milano Silk Tie by GJ
Image Memphis Milano Silk Tie by GJ SowdenYes, the Memphis Design movement also included ties., and this is one of the best, designed by George J. Sowden. ...
- 2011–06–06 Select 1977 RECORDS reissues, 2000-2010
Quote 1977-S073 radio city/love and a picture 7" 1977-S072 the retreads/would you listen girl 7" 1977-S069 perfectors/YT502951D 7" 1977-S068 the ...
- 2011–06–06 AFI‘s ’50 Legends’
Quote Part of the AFI 100 Years… series, AFI’s 100 Years…100 Stars is a list of the top 50 greatest screen legends of American cinema, 25 ...
- 2011–06–06 Tagging
Clip Elmgreen & Dragset, Open 24 Hours, 2011, mixed media, dimensions variable.As part of May’s Festival of Ideas, the Art Production Fund and the New ...
- 2011–06–05 Roz Chast’s pysanka eggs
Image GEHR: You’ve adapted the Ukrainian pysanka egg-decorating tradition to your own style by painting Chast-ian characters on them. How do you make ...
- 2011–06–05 Samosa sandwich
Image The samosa sandwich ($5): a samosa gets split in half, then smooshed into a toasted bun that’s been painted green with mint chutney and sprinkled ...
- 2011–06–05 John Burnside, ‘I put a spell on you’
Text I was only three when we moved to Blackburn Drive but it wasn’t long before I grasped that we were ‘coming up’ in the world. By the ...
- 2011–06–05 DJ Quik at the Knitting Factory
Quote … This, though, was something different: a bare-bones showcase for Quik, in a warm-up jacket and jeans, his hair pulled tight into thin cornrows ...
- 2011–06–05 A Who’s Who of the Jazz Age #4
Image Gabrielle “Coco” Chanel
- 2011–06–05 A Talk with Peter Falk
Quote In memory of Peter Falk, the French newspaper Liberation has posted an interview with the actor by Marie Colmant that first ran there in 1996, and ...
- 2011–06–04 Justin Mitchell on Ishmael Reed’s ‘Juice’
Text Reed’s last few novels have been a lot heavier on the “six o’clock news” side of things. Whereas his earlier fiction—with ...
- 2011–06–04 The F.B.I.’s Most Wanted List
Quote With the death of Osama bin Laden in May and the arrest of James (Whitey) Bulger on Wednesday night in California, there are only eight fugitives now ...
- 2011–06–03 Banana honey cone from Miss Softee
Image Dave Cook at Midtown Lunch fifth birthday party, New York.
- 2011–06–03 archive1969
Image Richard Hamilton, British, born 1922, Swingeing London 67 ©. 1968-69, Silkscreen ink on synthetic polymer paint on canvas. 67.3 × 85.1 cm, ...
- 2011–06–03 Christian Schwartz’s Neue Haas Grotesk
Quote Top: Neue Helvetica 95 Black; Bottom: Neue Haas Grotesk 95 Black
Neue Haas Grotesk underwent its first radical transformation when it was refitted to ...
- 2011–06–03 H.G. Wells and Rebecca West
Quote By the early 20th century Wells was one of the most fashionable writers in Britain. He rode a bicycle. He looked forward to the formation of a ...
- 2011–06–03 Jose Mourinho and sportonomics
Text So what causes it? First, Moskowitz and Wertheim rule out the conventional explanations, starting with the support of the home fans. How do you isolate ...
- 2011–06–02 Mike Goldby: ‘The Body’ (2010)
- 2011–06–02 Obama Was Busy
- 2011–06–02 Stills from ‘Klute’ (d. Alan J. Pakula, 1971)
- 2011–06–02 Miles Davis: selections from the fourth blindfold test (Down Beat, 1968)
Quote 3. Archie Shepp
(Archie Shepp in Europe, Delmark, recorded 1963)
Don Cherry, cornet; John Tchicai, alto saxophone; Shepp, tenor ...
- 2011–06–02 Miles Davis: from the third blindfold test (Down Beat, June 1964)
Quote 7. Eric Dolphy
(from Far Cry, New Jazz).
Booker Little, trumpet; Dolphy, composer, alto saxophone; Jaki Byard, piano.
That’s got ...
- 2011–06–01 S. pyogenes bacteria at 900x magnification.
S. pyogenes bacteria at 900x magnification.
- 2011–06–01 ‘The Wedding March’ (1928): user review
Text History paints Erich Von Stroheim as the great misunderstood genius, the `footage fetishist' whose grandiose films were too ahead of their time ...
- 2011–06–01 Cahiers du cinema, 12 best films of all-time from 1958
Quote In 1957, in preparation for an event at the Brussels World Fair of 1958 called the “Confrontation of the Best Films in the World”, the ...
- 2011–06–01 RuPaul at The Jane Hotel (8 June 1986)
- 2011–06–01 Mel Bochner: “The Beach Boys—‘100%’,” Arts Magazine (March 1967)
- 2011–06–01 Tower
Image Michael Craig-Martin, “Tower” (1981). 61.0 × 91.5 cm. Hand applied black crepe tape on drafting film.
- 2011–06–01 Molly Fischer on Russian Samovar
Quote “Mazel Tov!” said Philip Roth to Roman when he arrived around eight-thirty, in the middle of several Russian speeches. Roman had already ...
- 2011–06–01 Richard Nixon’s last meal at the White House, 1974
Image Pineapple slices with a scoop of cottage cheese.
- 2011–06–01 The Tuneless Cole Porter Musical
Quote John Simon’s Esquire review called it “maybe the worst movie musical of this—or any decade”: “Sitting through this movie ...
- 2011–06–01 What They Ate
Quote James Baldwin (1924-1987) Though often associated with Greenwich Village and Paris, novelist and civil rights activist James Baldwin grew up in Harlem. ...
- 2011–05–31 ‘Lonely Birthday,’ Vogue Girl Korea (March 2006). Photographer: Louis Park, model: Sophie Buxton.
- 2011–05–31 On special display at the Frick
Image Giovanni Bellini (c. 1430-1516). “St. Francis in the Desert” (detail). c. 1480. Oil and tempera on poplar panel. 49 in. x 55 7/8 in.
- 2011–05–31 Marcel Bloodthaer’s sister’s dress
Quote The Museum of Modern Art is on a mission to become a leader in American and European Conceptual art from the 1960s and ’70s. This week it ...
- 2011–05–31 Breakfast Martini
Quote Breakfast Martini at Fort Defiance
In the morning, Fort Defiance serves the classic Breakfast Martini, developed by illustrious British bartender ...
- 2011–05–31 Spectacle Theatre, Screen Slate: Can’s “Soundtracks”
Video Trailer for Roland Klick’s DEADLOCK (1971)
Playing at The Spectacle Theater Tuesday, June 7, 9:30pm
Part of Screen Slate Presents: Can’s ...
- 2011–05–31 Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, 17 September 2010
- 2011–05–09 Domus redesign by Salottobuono, 2011
Image Spreads from the April issue of Domus
- 2011–05–09 Kinda like us
Quote Consider the “special collector’s issue” of the kids’ magazine Disney Adventures devoted to “Pocahontas: The Movie, The ...
- 2011–05–09 Variations of chief
Image A chief combined with a pale. A chief bearing charges (two scallops). A chief indented. A chief wavy. Rare example of a ...
- 2011–05–09 Rule of tincture
Text The first rule of heraldic design is the rule of tincture: metal should not be put on metal, nor colour on colour (Humphrey Llwyd, 1568). This means ...
- 2011–05–09 Biscione
Image The Biscione (Italian for 'large grass snake'), also known as the Vipera ('viper' or in Milanese as the Bissa), is a heraldic charge showing in Argent ...
- 2011–05–09 NAVSPECWARDEVGRU
Quote In 1987, a new unit was formed, given the official title of “Naval Special Warfare Development Group” (abbreviated to NAVSPECWARDEVGRU, or ...
- 2011–05–09 New Sandwich at Prosperity Dumpling
Image Now the sandwich roster at Prosperity is expanding. Sunday morning, I brunched on one of the new items — a sesame-bread sandwich featuring a ...
- 2011–05–08 Three Kay Ryan springs
Quote “Spring,” from the 26 May 2001 New Republic:
It would be
good to shrug
out of winter
as cicadas do:
look: a crisp
- 2011–05–08 Lavvi Ebbel, ‘Coffee Koffie’ (1983)
Quote Lavvi Ebbel – Kiss Me Kate Label: Les Disques Du Crepuscule, Ariola Benelux Catalog#: TWI 172, 205.488 Format: Vinyl, LP
- 2011–05–08 Aram Saroyan, ‘Coffee Coffee’ (1967)
Image Aram SaroyanCoffee CoffeeNew York: 0 to 9 Books, 1967.
4to.; illustrated throughout in black and white; staple bound printed wrappers; some wear to ...
- 2011–05–08 The Grilling Hot Line Center
Quote Most of the time, Ms. Olsen said, the answer is an easy one. People sometimes simply forget to turn up heat. “You’ll tell the man the ...
- 2011–05–07 From ‘Quer pasticciaccio brutto de via Merulana’ (1957) by Carlo Emilio Gadda (t. William Weaver)
- 2011–05–07 Tony Chachere’s Famous Creole Seasoning
Image Before and after.
- 2011–05–07 (untitled)
Image Department of Defense, via Agence France-Presse — Getty Image
- 2011–05–07 Kelefa Sanneh on reality TV
Text Because Pozner isn’t really interested in viewers, she doesn’t have much to say about why they reject some reality shows while embracing ...
- 2011–05–07 Pelican
- 2011–05–07 Malick’s ‘Tree of Life’
Quote As Mr. Malick’s films grow increasingly allusive and amorphous, he seems more than ever to find them in the editing. “Our focus was to make ...
- 2011–05–07 ArtCash
ArtCash by Rauschenberg (top) and Tom Gormley, via nymagp>Whatever else it was, Billy Kluver, Bob Rauschenberg and Robert Whitman's Experiments ...
- 2011–05–07 From Vogue Italia, Vol. 1 Issue 1, 1966
- 2011–05–07 PUEBLA CELEBRATION
Quote 05.28.2011 – 05.28.2011
Clemente Soto Velez Cultural and Educational Center Puebla Celebration
Saturday, May 28, 2011 2-5pm
Clemente Soto Velez ...
- 2011–05–06 This is the girl (‘Mulholland Drive,’ d. David Lynch, 2001)
- 2011–05–06 (untitled)
- 2011–05–06 From Gracie Nesin ‘Secrets in Yr Phone’ (2011)
Video --INDEX--Alec Baldwin in Working Girl, 1988Peabody, MassachusettsSalem, Massachusetts (2003)nuns and other congregants pray the rosary, Our Lady of ...
- 2011–05–06 Artist at work
Image Mladen Stilinovic, Artist at Work 5 (1978)
- 2011–05–06 Select Rich Kroneiss reviews from Terminal Boredom #28, Winter 2010
Quote Liquor Store “Free Pizza” 7”
The much-anticipated debut from Jersey no-counts Liquor Store. What a novel idea…dumbasses ...
- 2011–05–06 Leda me not into temptation
Image Swan Mirror at Happy Ending, (302 Broome St., nr. Forsyth St.; 212-334-9676)
- 2011–05–06 Whit Stillman’s ‘Damsels In Distress’
Quote NEW YORK, NY (March 29, 2011)—Sony Pictures Classics announced today that they will release Oscar nominated Whit Stillman’s latest film ...
- 2011–05–06 ‘Somewhere to Disappear,’ a film with Alec Soth
- 2011–05–06 Alfred Kazin’s Journals
Quote Journal keeping, for Kazin, was a ritual. He wrote regularly in his for more than half a century, and it ultimately ran to more than 7,000 pages. ...
- 2011–05–06 Dieppa Restrepo: Alternate colors
- 2011–05–06 BABYCAKES
Quote RUSCHA, Ed. Babycakes. New York: Multiples Inc., 1970.
12mo.; illustrated throughout in black and white; hole punch bound with pink ribbon; green ...
- 2011–05–05 Masa messiah
Quote Tamales and masa, their cornmeal base, may not have the street cred of drugs, but Chingo Bling has tried to do for them what Tony Montana did for ...
- 2011–05–05 Nukes
Quote A key part of the Nazis’ nuclear programme was the heavy water production facility at the Norsk Hydro fertiliser plant near Rjukan in the wilds ...
- 2011–05–05 New restaurants in Long Island City
Quote Right next to Canz is a distinctly odd storefront place called Queens Comfort. The chef, Casey Sullivan, a recent arrival from Georgia via Kansas City ...
- 2011–05–04 God Save McQueen
Text Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty, the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s memorial tribute to the British fashion designer who died by his own hand in ...
- 2011–05–04 “My Manticore”
Quote We named him Manticore, after the Robertson Davies novel (he was, after all, Canadian) and generally assumed he would be a whimsical addition to the ...
- 2011–05–04 ‘Cheers’ title cards (d. Bruce Bryant, James Castro; 1982)
- 2011–05–04 Weight, Weight, Don’t Tell Me
Text And so it was that at some point a couple of years later, when I met him at a party, I asked him what he’d meant. Of course, he didn’t ...
- 2011–05–03 Common courtesies
Quote Royal occasions offer the pleasure of mass atavism, including the revival of antediluvian words and attitudes. As journalists and newsreaders ...
- 2011–05–03 “A black Irish beer that disappears in the course of the creative process”
Quote Brodsky describes the daily routines of Auden, with whom he briefly stayed in Austria (I assume in Kirchstetten though the article doesn’t ...
- 2011–05–03 T-shirt, July 1969
Image “As a teenager in New York I thought my friends and I were pretty cool. The moon landing kept our attitudes in check by putting us in touch with ...
- 2011–05–03 List of movies
Quote Jonathan Rosenbaum’s 1000 Essential Films (chronological order)
- 2011–05–03 Nigel Peake’s Paris
- 2011–05–03 Norman Mailer’s house, 134 Columbia Heights
- 2011–05–03 Donald Justice on Philip Larkin (1995)
Quote It has been claimed for Larkin that he was never sentimental, never brutal. But the truth is that I find him both sentimental and brutal, though in ...
- 2011–05–03 Emily Fragos on Emily Dickinson’s Letters
Quote Did Higginson’s corrective responses to her poems play a role in her decision not to publish under her name during her lifetime? Yes, I think so. ...
- 2011–05–03 Hans Ulrich Obrist in conversation with Julian Assange
Quote HUO: She was the investigating judge. I remember reading about it when living in France at the time. It was in the daily news every day. JA: Right. So ...
- 2011–05–03 Donald Judd: 101 Spring Street
Image In November 68, I bought a cast-iron building in the Cast-Iron District of New York City. The building was built in 1870 and designed by Nicholas ...
- 2011–05–03 Dean Young: A Poet’s (Transplanted) Heart
Quote Red Glove Thrown in Rose Bush
If only bodies weren’t so beautiful.
Even rabbits are made of firecrackers
so tiny they tickle your hand.
- 2011–05–02 Interview With Harsh Patel
Quote Any recent trades to speak of?
Yes, with two of my favorite publishers, Juan Moralejo and Benjamin Sommerhalder. I forgot what I traded Juan for a ...
- 2011–05–01 T.J. Clark at the V&A
Quote Albert Moore, ‘Reading Aloud’ (1883-84) First, I found myself in the exhibition repeatedly trying to decide how seriously the fine artists ...
- 2011–05–01 The intimate Orwell
Quote And in his famous “Some Thoughts on the Common Toad,” he added:If a man cannot enjoy the return of spring, why should he be happy in a ...
- 2011–05–01 Tone poem
Clip Jessica Mein, Billboard, 2010, still from a video animation, 4 minutes 15 seconds.“Verso Reverso,” Jessica Mein‘s solo debut in New ...
- 2011–05–01 From ‘Homage to Catalonia’ (1938), George Orwell
Quote Early one morning another man and I had gone out to snipe at the Fascists in the trenches outside Huesca. Their line and ours here lay three hundred ...
- 2011–05–01 Franzen’s Ugly Americans Abroad
Quote What a wonderful insight this careless moment of blurb-talk gives us into the contemporary American mindset! We want something worldly, but if it seems ...
- 2011–04–30 The Guinea fowl terrine at Daniel
- 2011–04–30 The genius of Buster
Image Buster Keaton as Rollo Treadway in The Navigator, 1924 More than fifty years have passed since critics rediscovered Buster Keaton and pronounced him ...
- 2011–04–30 ‘Frame is part of drawing’
Text For instance, we know that Erased de Kooning Drawing (1953) is one of Robert Rauschenberg’s most important, influential works. It’s the ...
- 2011–04–30 The Highlights, online arts journal (design by Ken Meier and Yoonjai Choi)
- 2011–04–09 Bittersweet
Grapenut (single scoop, $3.50), one of this coffee shop’s housemade ice creams, features the wheat-and-barley cereal — which ...
- 2011–04–09 Torrisi’s Fried Rice With Prosciutto
Quote From the chefs of Torrisi Italian Specialties. 1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 ounce sweet Italian sausage, crumbled
1/2 cup finely ...
- 2011–04–09 Mr Porter typeface
- 2011–04–09 Village Voice Food Blog: 10 Best Secret Gardens
Quote Lauren ShockeyB Bar and Grill’s Expansive Outdoor Patio�
9. B Bar and Grill: Ok, so this patio isn’t 100% hidden, but if you entered on ...
- 2011–04–08 Paolo Uccello
Image Paolo Uccello, Miracle of the Desacrated Host (Scene I and 5), 1465-69.
- 2011–04–08 A progress: or, one foot in front of the other
Text “I hope they like each other,” someone says behind me. “They’ll like each other by the end,” says another. ...
- 2011–04–08 On Diana Kennedy’s ‘Oaxaca al Gusto: An Infinite Gastronomy’
Text She moved back to Mexico. In the beautiful state of Michoacan she built an adobe house far ahead of its time in its ecological obsession, started an ...
- 2011–04–08 Marcel van Eeden, from ‘Sammlung Boryna’ (1930)
Image at Kunstmuseum St.Gallen, Museumstrasse 32, CH-9000 St.Gallen
- 2011–04–08 Ida Kar, photo of Terry Frost (1961)
Image Ida Kar: Bohemian Photographer, 1908-1974 is on view at the National Portrait Gallery, London, through June 19.
- 2011–04–08 From Sophia Loren’s ‘In Cocina Con Amore’ (1971)
- 2011–04–08 Nieves app
Image Download and collect your favorite Nieves Zines, carefully edited and adapted for the multi-touch screen. Leaf through each Zine from front to back, ...
- 2011–04–08 Frank Bruni: Torrisi Italian Specialties
Image Curry cavatelli …“That really struck me: an iconic Italian street in Chinese characters,” [Rich Torrisi] says. “I thought: we ...
- 2011–04–08 Cate Blanchett (ph: Cass Bird)
- 2011–04–07 Michel Foucault on sexuality and solitude
Quote Now let’s turn to Augustine’s text, whose meaning is the point at which we want to arrive in our analysis. In The City of God, and later on ...
- 2011–04–07 Elif Batuman is a wino
Quote 1. Lowered attention span. This means I order a lot of free samples. As a former destitute graduate student, I still have a lively interest in free ...
- 2011–04–07 Alt Screen
Quote Event listings and alternative film screenings in NYC. Repertory revivals and advance previews, festival screenings and local premieres, in-person, ...
- 2011–04–07 Peter Gidal’s milk cup
Quote “When I came to New York in September,” English avant-garde filmmaker and film theorist Peter Gidal tells me, “I noticed that almost ...
- 2011–04–07 Anouk Aimee (b. 1932)
Image Anouk Aimee is perhaps best known for her remarkable presence as an icon of cool, sophisticated beauty in more than seventy films across seven decades, ...
- 2011–04–07 Gareth Williams, Letter to Mary Currie (1982)
- 2011–04–07 Gareth Williams & Marie Currie — Flaming Tunes
Image The album Flaming Tunes was recorded in collaboration with Mary Currie after Gareth Williams left This Heat in the early 1980’s and returned from ...
- 2011–04–07 Qaddafi to Obama
Quote In Colonel Qaddafi’s letter, addressed to “Mr. Our dear son, Excellency, Baraka Hussein Abu Oumama,” the Libyan leader reiterated his ...
- 2011–04–07 How to beat a dead octopus
Quote “Some General Instructions” was one of a number of discoveries I made while going through the five-hundred-odd poems that the Review has ...
- 2011–04–06 David Foster Wallace and taxes
Text One wonders what Wilson would have made of “The Pale King,” David Foster Wallace‘s posthumous novel about I.R.S. agents battling ...
- 2011–04–06 Cover of the Spoon River Anthology
- 2011–04–06 Orson Welles’s Purloined Letter: F FOR FAKE
Quote I met him at La Mediterranee — the same seafood restaurant that would figure prominently in the film he was editing — and when I began by ...
- 2011–04–06 Sally Foster Wallace
Quote Mrs. Wallace has written just one book, an English grammar textbook called Practically Painless English. It is the only book of English grammar I know ...
- 2011–04–06 The tropes of ’80s commercials
Quote The “Balanced Breakfast”: So we’re all familiar with the cliche of the balanced breakfast. The weird thing, the thing I didn’t ...
- 2011–04–05 White Columns — Archive in Progress
Image Invitation for Gordon Matta-Clark’s ‘Open House’, May 1972, 112 Greene Street White Columns is pleased to introduce its ARCHIVE IN ...
- 2011–04–05 Groover’s paradise
Text The Team (l-r): Chuck Weiss, Alvin Crow, Marcia Ball, Ray Bensen, Carlyne & George Majewski Softball games, birthday parties, wedding receptions ...
- 2011–04–04 Marinetti’s cookbook
Quote ‘Prescribed doses of poetry and music’ would ‘accentuate the flavours of a given dish with their sensual intensity’. ‘A ...
- 2011–04–04 Eternal return
Text When the band performed Pink Flag once more at London’s Barbican Centre earlier this year, and Newman duly delivered the pointed preface to ...
- 2011–04–04 Pepsi pavilion, 1970
Pepsi Pavilion with Fog Sculpture, Japan World Exposition. Nakaya Fujiko and Experiments in Art and Technology (E.A.T.) Osaka, 1970. Photographic ...
- 2011–04–04 ‘Actaul anarchy shit’
WHY NOT, PARTY CIGARETTE:
supplies: cigarette, lighter
effect: youre cigarette shoots out sparks
how to: take off the safety case on your ...
- 2011–04–03 From the Andy Warhol Chronology: June-December 1964
Quote At Pickwick Lou Reed met John Cale. Terry Phillips, one of the owners of Pickwick met John at a party and asked him to the studios with the possibility ...
- 2011–04–02 The rhetoric of happiness
Quote … like Ian Leslie, I dislike the “Trendy Vicar tone“ of the happiness movement, all the “stop to think about it” / ...
- 2011–04–02 Hieronymus Cock
One of the most haunting of Bruegel’s images, Big Fish Eat Little Fish is among the first of the artist’s many treatments of proverbs in ...
- 2011–04–02 Big Fish Eat Little Fish
Image I bought two very fresh squid that were good size, about a foot long. I learned how to clean them half a lifetime ago, and am not generally squeamish. ...
- 2011–04–02 Mopping the floor
Mr. Friedlander, the former nuclear plant operator who is a specialist in emergency responses to nuclear accidents, said that the Japanese decision to ...
- 2011–04–01 Tombstone of Marcel Broodthaers
- 2011–04–01 Offshore/Elsewhere
Quote The need for anonymity is common to all these activities, which take place in what one might call the ‘secrecy world’. Secrecy is a ...
- 2011–04–01 Kinchley’s Tavern (Ramsey, New Jersey, est. 1937)
Our blunt but friendly waitress first recommended the house specialty, a Fra Diavolo pie. This 14” wide bubbling beauty had a roughly 1� to 1 ...
- 2011–04–01 Moises Saman for The New York Times
Image A supporter of Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi holds a portrait of the Libyan leader on a soccer field in a suburb of Zawiyah, where government minders took a ...
- 2011–03–09 Who?
- 2011–03–09 Christgau on Elvis Costello
Quote My Aim Is True [Columbia, 1977]
I like the nerdy way this guy comes on, I’m fascinated by his lyrics, and I approve of his rock and roll ...
- 2011–03–09 Christgau in 1983
Quote Madonna [Sire, 1983]
In case you bought the con, disco never died—just reverted to the crazies who thought it was worth living for. This ...
- 2011–03–08 Susan Sontag at the Mills Hotel, Bleecker Street (1962)
Image Photograph by Fred W. McDarrah
- 2011–03–08 Milan, February 2011
- 2011–03–08 Matthew Carr
Quote His sitters found Carr just as fascinating as he found them. Tall and painfully thin, despite an addiction to Cadbury’s Dairy Milk (economy ...
- 2011–03–08 Power cookies
Quote Due to the game’s wild success, Pac-Man became an economic term. When a company that is about to be acquired instead takes over the hostile ...
- 2011–03–08 Elizabeth Taylor eating a burger, 1947
- 2011–03–08 Illustration by Hugo Guinness
- 2011–03–08 Sandwiches that you will like
Quote Spiedies It’s said that the spiedie, a sandwich made of meat cooked in a manner similar to shish kebab, was introduced to America by Augustine ...
- 2011–03–08 McDonalds: ‘Good Parts’ (2011). Starring Serge and friends.
- 2011–03–08 On ‘Soy Cuba’
Auteurism is as much of a problem here as star ratings; it’s not clear that Kalatozov is the individual most responsible for the film’s ...
- 2011–03–08 Jan Verwoert: ‘Secret Society’
Text Admittedly, this approach directly contradicts the declared objectives of Conceptual art voiced by many of its first-generation proponents. This was ...
- 2011–03–08 The art wave
Quote [of the David Colman article on John Currin and Rachel Feinstein in the NYT Style section] I will say that it’s the conveniently swattable straw ...
- 2011–03–08 Tacos Matamoros
Image Shown: nachos strewn with chorizo (above); tacos al pastor; tacos de lengua; huaraches; tostadas de ceviche; a goat tamale; a platter of barbacoa ...
- 2011–03–08 Tyler Jon Tyler, Record Store Day at Death Or Glory Records (Chicago), 17 Apr 2010
- 2011–03–08 An introduction to “Paprika”
Text Suspend your belief in poems, novels, and movies for a moment, however, and imagine that dream-sharing is something completely new in the world. How ...
- 2011–03–07 ‘2520 Deslondes Street, New Orleans, Louisiana, 2005’
- 2011–03–07 Features of silk
Image Winding the silk solution on a rotating mandrel provides control of tube properties like winding pattern, tube porosity and composite features.
- 2011–03–07 Chesterton on lying in bed
Quote I remember having a conversation a couple of days ago about the bases on which people are likely to discriminate against others in the future. My view ...
- 2011–03–07 Leo Steinberg, 1920-2011
Quote Leo Steinberg, a giant among art historians, died on Sunday in Manhattan, age 90. At the International Association of Art Critics (AICA) awards ...
- 2011–03–07 Sarang Gopalakrishnan on rationality
Text I should distinguish between contemplative and instrumental rationality: the former is about getting facts right, not believing false arguments, etc.; ...
- 2011–03–06 Proust, petit windowlicker
Quote There’s a scene in Proust’s In Search of Lost Time (1922) which gets at this much more elegantly than I can. Little Marcel is on the ...
- 2011–03–06 From ‘Pale Flower’ (1964), starring Ryo Ikebe. Dir. Masahiro Shinoda, art director Shigemasa Toda.
- 2011–03–06 Ferdinando Scarfiotti and “Toys”
Image “Scarfiotti returned to work in 1990 on Barry Levinson’s Toys. This project dated from 1978, its fanciful story (of a bombastic general and ...
- 2011–03–06 Zizek: ‘Good manners in the age of WikiLeaks’
Quote The ultimate show of power on the part of the ruling ideology is to allow what appears to be powerful criticism. There is no lack of anti-capitalism ...
- 2011–03–05 The Mr. Big Scenario
Quote Psychology, Public Policy, and Law, 2009, Vol. 15, No. 3, 168-193 II. The Mr. Big Technique: A Noncustodial Interrogation Procedure Generally reserved ...
- 2011–03–05 Butyraceous
Quote Today’s word, in association with the superlative Oxford English Dictionary, is butyraceous (adj.) (1) Of the nature of butter; buttery.
- 2011–03–05 Photograph by Ken Pate (Paris, 1975)
- 2011–03–05 Photograph by Charles Harbutt (USA, 1970s)
- 2011–03–05 Geoff Dyer, from ‘Sleeping Under Four Stars’
Quote At this point a slight qualification is needed, namely that in some ways a room is more erotic than a suite. A suite subtly revives the division of ...
- 2011–03–05 Interview with Jeremiah Goodman
Quote —“I mean, what do you want to see? It’s ten times better if Yves Saint Laurent does a sweep of a drawing than somebody else drawing ...
- 2011–03–05 Jeremiah Goodman: Artist’s Studios (from Acne Paper 11)
Image Jeremiah Goodman’s studio, East Hampton Edward Albee’s loft, New York City Picasso’s studio, Vallauris
- 2011–03–05 Blog of Courtney Reagor
- 2011–03–05 Courtney Reagor, “Still Life II”
- 2011–03–05 Lucy Lippard at SVA
Quote Lucy Lippard: Ghosts, the Daily News and Prophecy: Critical Landscape Photography Thursday, April 7, 7pmBased on her book The Lure of the Local: Senses ...
- 2011–03–05 Drawing by John Springs
- 2011–03–05 William Powhida: ‘A Biased And Incomplete Guide To Some Critics In New York (Where I Live And Look At Art)’
- 2011–03–05 A Century of Meat
- 2011–03–05 A century of ping-pong
Quote Heller: I’m dying to ask this. What is the origin of the term? And is there any connection between the digital connotation, as in ...
- 2011–03–04 Cast of ‘Carlos.’ Miniseries, 2010. Directed by Olivier Assayas, starring Edgar Ramirez, casting by Antoinette Boulat, Veronika Varjasi.
- 2011–03–04 Peter Lorre Eyes
Quote Many jobs require such degrees in Germany, where, as is not the case in America, calling oneself doctor for having completed a thesis in, say, ...
- 2011–03–04 Immersive uptown gallery experience
- 2011–03–04 Americans and Apricots (through 30 April 2011 at Hilary Crisp Gallery)
Image The exhibition is loosely organized around the eighth and penultimate edition of Spirale Magazine, which functions less as specific historical ...
- 2011–03–04 Phil Patton on the Selectric
Quote The Selectric was the centerpiece of Eliot Noyes’ s work as IBM’s chief design consultant in the late 1950s. Interviewed in the ’70s, ...
- 2011–03–04 Rosoff’s Victory
Image 2. Rosoff’s Victory Room, 147 West 43rd Street The Victory Room was located in Rosoff’s Hotel, owned by one Max Rosoff, who came to New ...
- 2011–03–04 The Beau Brummels, San Francisco 1965
- 2011–03–04 Harsh Patel – LESSON ONE
Image Harsh Patel – LESSON ONE Although the greater extent of Harsh Patel‘s practice is producing art multiples, Lesson One focuses on a ...
- 2011–03–03 Jonathan Rosenbaum on Madonna
Quote Loudon Trott (Griffin Dunne), a yuppie attorney, has just been assigned to deliver a snarling cougar to an eccentric client (John Mills) when ...
- 2011–03–03 Jonathan Rosenbaum on Spielberg
Quote As the most gifted and congenial by far of all the New Hollywood tyros, Steven Spielberg may be the only consummate master of the post-TV movie ...
- 2011–03–03 (untitled)
Quote “If a certain date is given correctly in A Vision this must be the Anniversary of our marriage. Last night I had a nightmare. I was in a crowded ...
- 2011–03–03 (untitled)
Quote “As she and other Yeatsians know to their cost, the poet’s handwriting staggers across the page, as one critic has put it, like a ...
- 2011–03–02 They Were an Item #118
Image Anouk Aimee and Albert Finney
- 2011–03–02 Obsession with compression
Text Ideally, compression does not delete information or material but conceals it within itself, making all hidden components readily accessible should the ...
- 2011–03–01 Andrew Carmellini: Artichoke instructions
Quote … 4. When the artichokes have cooled, remove them from the pot and slice each one in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out the fibrous, furry ...
- 2011–03–01 In Piedmonte
- 2011–03–01 Breakfast at Frankies 17
Image Mushrooms with Poached Eggs ($9)
- 2011–03–01 Finn Juhl for Niels Vodder
- 2011–03–01 Eagleton on idleness
Quote It is often forgotten how staggeringly well read [Marx] was, and what painstaking labour he invested in the literary style of his works. He was eager, ...
- 2011–03–01 Baidu Maps
Image Q: How do you offer a satellite-style map solution (a la Google Maps) when your government censors what can/can’t be shown in overhead photos? ...
- 2011–03–01 Mary Sweeney
Image “Very often, particularly in independent films, the editor ends up doing all the producing work in post-production because there is nobody else ...
- 2011–02–28 Archivists do not find my anecdotes amusing
Quote I guess if you think about it, archivists really wouldn’t think it’s exciting, or even that amusing, when you tell a story that wrongly ...
- 2011–02–28 Top Camcorder Experts
- 2011–02–28 Elephants by Saul Bass (1956)
- 2011–02–28 Fromms Act
Image Fromm improved on the manufacturing technique. He used glass moulds, which were mounted on carrier frames and dipped into a vat of rubber solution ...
- 2011–02–28 Dwight Garner on Les Murray
Quote As it happens, Mr. Murray also resembles James Beard, the gastronome, and has written a poem comparing the moon to a baked pig’s liver. As a boy, ...
- 2011–02–28 Dot Dot Dot
Quote For me, Dot Dot Dot was most thought provoking and exciting when it was staring graphic design directly in the face, through the visible development of ...
- 2011–02–28 ‘The Museum is History’
Image The Museum of American Art opened its doors in 2004 in Berlin, in a ground floor apartment on the Frankfurter Allee 91. The MoAA is filled with ...
- 2011–02–28 Museum collection top tens: MoMA
Quote The ten artworks most-accessed on the website of The Museum of Modern Art. Salvador Dali, The Persistence of Memory, 1931 Vincent van Gogh, The Starry ...
- 2011–02–28 John Smedley SS11 Concept
Image Our menswear collection draws inspiration from the personality of ‘The Archivist.’ Exploring the concept of a ‘collection’ in ...
- 2011–02–28 Can’t get enough Food
- 2011–02–28 Otis Stout Bread
Image Cayuga Pure Organics near Ithaca, N.Y., has been one of the leaders of the local grain movement. It is also selling breads made with their grains that ...
- 2011–02–09 Martha Rosler’s kitchen mise-en-scene
Image Martha Rosler, Semiotics of the Kitchen: An Audition (video still), 2011.
Courtesy Electronic Arts Intermix (EAI). An Audition was but a small part of ...
- 2011–02–09 Elizabeth Bishop and The New Yorker
Quote One of the pleasures of “Elizabeth Bishop and The New Yorker,” a new collection of her correspondence with that magazine’s poetry ...
- 2011–02–09 Harris’s List of Covent Garden Ladies
Quote Title page of 1773 edition Harris’s List of Covent Garden Ladies (1757 – 1795) was a directory of prostitutes in Georgian London. It ...
- 2011–02–09 The other one
Quote One may or may not be familiar with the Daily Universal Register, but people are almost certainly familiar with the newspaper it became, the Times. It ...
- 2011–02–09 Vogue Paris, March 1976
- 2011–02–09 Popular fabrics (USA, January 1965)
- 2011–02–09 Wall Street
- 2011–02–09 (untitled)
Image Geologie fuer Jederman by Prof. Dr. Kurd v. Buelow (1974).
- 2011–02–08 Talking drum
Quote Kele is a tonal language with two sharply distinct tones. Each syllable is either low or high. The drum language is spoken by a pair of drums with the ...
- 2011–02–07 Mecki, the hedgehog mascot of Hoerzu, a German TV guide
- 2011–02–07 Matisse’s typography
Image Pages 26-27 of Florilege des amours by Pierre de Ronsard, Paris, Albert Skira, 1948. Lithograph, 38.1 × 29.2 cm. Le guignon, 1930-1932, from ...
- 2011–02–07 Joyce/Matisse
Image Limited edition of 1500 copies, signed by the illustrator, and one of 250 signed by the author. Designed by George Macy, this is the twelfth and final ...
- 2011–02–07 Remate boutique de vintage y diseno
Image Remate. Boutique de vintage y diseno. Gorriti 4791. Palermo
sabados de 16 a 20.30 hs
- 2011–02–07 Prestige Records covers
Image Jay Jay Johnson a.o.: Trombone by Three Label: Prestige 16-4 (16 rpm) 12" LP 1956
Alternate cover Illustration: Andy Warhol
- 2011–02–07 Blue Note 1500 series—Andy Warhol and Reid Miles
Image Johnny Griffin: Congregation Label: Blue Note 1580 12" LP 1958
Illustration: Andy Warhol Design: Reid Miles
Kenny Burrell: Blue Lights, ...
- 2011–02–07 Miami, January 2011
- 2011–02–07 From ‘London Street Photography,’ at the Museum of London. 18 February to 4 September 2011.
- 2011–02–06 A vanguard of friends
Text Tibor de Nagy Gallery Larry Rivers: Frank O'Hara, c. 1955 The body of Frank O’Hara—the broken nose, the bouncy gait, the jaunty ...
- 2011–02–05 Poster, L’annee derniere a Marienbad (1961)
Image Design by Hans Hillman.
- 2011–02–05 Jonathan Rosenbaum on Alain Resnais
Quote Barring only the octogenarian Robert Bresson, who may never shoot again, Resnais is incontestably the greatest living French filmmaker, and quite ...
- 2011–02–05 (untitled)
- 2011–02–05 Garry Kasparov on Bobby Fischer
Text One theory that was not often heard was that Fischer might have been more than a little nervous about his challenger, the twenty-three-year-old leader ...
- 2011–02–05 ‘Girls Don’t Cry,’ by Nine Antico (Glenat, 2010)
- 2011–02–04 David Vasiljevic for Numero Tokyo #44, March 2011
- 2011–02–04 T.S. Eliot: The critic as radical
Text Eliot was too subtle not to recognize (and too honest not to acknowledge) that his more general pronouncements about political philosophy were ...
- 2011–02–04 Extradition in the E.U.
Quote The Swedish definition of ‘rape’ is wider than in the UK, where some form or degree of coercion is required. Much of the press comment on ...
- 2011–02–04 ; )
Quote Q: I just read a blog post about why sending someone a “wink” on a dating Web site is stupid. This seemed like a reasonable argument to ...
- 2011–02–04 Studio Visit: Lawrence Weiner
Image I didn’t come from a background that had any idea about what contemporary art was, it was not anti or pro, it had nothing to do with it. I do ...
- 2011–02–04 Chinatown Brasserie—Mushroom Noodles
Mushroom Noodles ($15).
- 2011–02–04 Welles, Sirk, Hitchcock
Text Far more than the Joycean or the Proustian, the Kafkaesque is the high-modernist trope that everyone understands, even Kafka. (“Went to the ...
- 2011–02–04 Urgh! A Chicken War
Quote A Chicken War in New York, as Afghans Rule Roost By DAN BILEFSKY Abdul Haye, armed with the trademark for the Kennedy Fried Chicken brand, has ...
- 2011–02–03 The letters of Louis MacNeice
Text The bulk of the post-Oxford letters are practical. They concern the books he did write, and many relate to books he never began or finished: among them ...
- 2011–02–03 Balenciaga Spring 2008 Ready-to-Wear—Nicholas Ghesquiere
- 2011–02–03 Peter Pan Donut & Pastry Shop
- 2011–02–02 Fraser Gunnery Range: photos by Perry Conner King
Image via the The UK UE Urbex Urban Exploration Forums
- 2011–02–02 ‘Pathography’ ?
Image Marshall McLuhan (1911-1980) Douglas Coupland: … we’ve obviously entered the age of near total medicalization of personality. To write a ...
- 2011–02–02 Isa Genzken/Gerhard Richter—Duisburg station
Image Anyway, the work seems remarkably undocumented. These are about the only pictures I could find. Genzken and Richter received the commissioned for the ...
- 2011–02–01 Simplifying crumpled paper
Quote The ridges and valleys on a crumpled piece of paper look complex. But there may be only two basic types of formations, which can be stitched together ...
- 2011–02–01 ‘The Icicle Thief’
Quote The film’s Italian title Ladri di saponette, a play on the Italian title of De Sica’s film, means “Soap Thieves”; it is ...
- 2011–02–01 A.O. Scott on ‘No Strings Attached’
Quote Let me check my notes. The name of this one is “No Strings Attached,” and it also stars Ashton Kutcher, a perfectly nice-looking fellow and ...
- 2011–02–01 Augustus Pablo at Tropical Cove, Brooklyn (1974)
- 2011–02–01 Interview with Ted Bafaloukos
Image Did you make many friends?
I was there for so many years, I had to make friends, to open up all my cards. I did not have many, but I wanted everyone ...
- 2011–02–01 Letters on the raging peloton
Quote Wasn’t it Jarry, mentioned by Iain Sinclair, who used a revolver instead of a bicycle bell? And didn’t he reassure a pregnant woman who ...
- 2011–02–01 T.J. Clark on Gabriel Orozco
Text Orozco is a ragpicker. He takes the modern art background of minimum intervention in the world – the tactics of the ready-made, the found object, ...
- 2011–02–01 A conversation between Stephen Willats and Hans Ulrich Obrist
Quote Please join us for A conversation between Stephen Willats and Hans Ulrich Obrist Originally published in 1973 by Gallery House Press and long out of ...
- 2011–02–01 Archives: 1968-1972 Walker Performing Arts flyers
Image Here is another (slightly overwhelming) group of images from our archives: a series of performing arts pamphlets from the late 1960�s/early 70�s ...
- 2011–01–09 Parts of Chopin
Image Cast of Chopin’s left hand by Clesinger Many people who had not been present at Chopin’s death would later claim to have been there. ...
- 2011–01–09 Fassbinder on set
Image Fassbinder on the set of Berlin Alexanderplatz (1980) with actress Hanna Schygulla in the background.
- 2011–01–09 (untitled)
Quote “And this man with whom I am comfortable kayaks in the summer all over the world, in Alaska, the Aleutians, where Inuits since the Ice Age have ...
- 2011–01–09 Frank Kermode on William Empson
Text And so on, for 25 stanzas, unambiguous about the preferences of the parties, but also firm that the marriage was far from lacking in love. There were ...
- 2011–01–08 James Agee on ‘Les enfants du paradis’
Quote Children of Paradise, which Jacques Prevert and Marcel Carne produced and directed in France during the war, is close to perfection of its kind and I ...
- 2011–01–08 Peter Pomerantsev: ‘Hello Goodbye’
Text Then there was ‘the milkmaid’, whose story became a Russian YouTube hit: a woman of uncertain age, with gold teeth, permed hair, bright ...
- 2011–01–08 Dino Buzzati’s ‘Poem Strip’
Text Poem Strip is exhilarating in its inventiveness and highly provocative. Enticing and terrifying in turns, it reinvented the whole concept of the comic ...
- 2011–01–07 A dubious seduction strategy
Quote I would love to read a book with really excellent dialogue (as in, clever but recognizable as spontaneous human speech). I feel that reading good ...
- 2011–01–07 How artists must dress
Text The relationship between an artist’s work and attire should not take the form of a direct visual analogy. A stripe painter may not wear stripes. ...
- 2011–01–07 Jonathan Rosenbaum on ‘Willow’ (Chicago Reader, 1988)
Text Consider the use of foreign accents and ethnic groupings. Disney’s recourse to such stereotypes in the early 40s — from the nationalities ...
- 2011–01–07 Jacques Derrida interviews Ornette Coleman
Video Coleman tells a story of his early days as a professional musician and a lesson he learned about the bitter practicalities of artistic creation: I was ...
- 2011–01–07 Sonny Clark, Part II
Text One of the saddest sights these days is the terrible condition of one of the nation’s foremost, and certainly original pianists. Having been ...
- 2011–01–06 Interview with Experimental Jetset, from “If We’re Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants, What Are We Reaching For?” by Rudy Vanderlans
Quote EXPERIMENTAL JETSET: “For us, one of the many ways to underline the physical, material qualities of a design is through the use of ...
- 2011–01–05 Jeff Koons v. Park Life store
Quote From the Complaint for Declaratory Relief; Demand for Jury Trial Filed yesterday in the U.S. District Court in the Northern District of California, San ...
- 2011–01–05 From ‘Notorious and Notable: 20th Century Women of Style,’ Museum of the City of New York
Image Dior mini-dress worn by Sunny von Buelow, ca. 1968
- 2011–01–05 Alexander Girard. Braniff Airlines playing cards, c. 1968.
- 2011–01–05 The typographic “modern”
Text This turn was anticipated as early as 1949, when Gyoergy Kepes, a Hungarian emigre teaching at MIT, delivered an address at Harvard about the role of ...
- 2011–01–05 The plain beauty of well-made things (Donald Judd’s writing)
Quote The excerpt begins:
Until lately art has been one thing and everything else something else. These structures are art and so is everything made. ...
- 2011–01–04 Hamish Hamilton: Five Dials, Number 13
Image Featuring Dean Warham, Alain de Botton, Mike Watt, James Murphy, and James Greer. Art by Raymond Pettibon and Martin Parr.
- 2011–01–04 Minecraft, a crudely sadistic sandbox game
Text Minecraft’s physics are, in a way, exceptionally advanced. Thus far, the contents of pretty much every environment in a video game have been ...
- 2011–01–04 Writers’ rooms: Heston Blumenthal
Image Photograph by Eamonn McCabe This is the Fat Duck’s development kitchen, also known as the lab. Before we got this space I was in a garden shed ...
- 2011–01–04 Sam Stephenson on Sonny Clark
Text Clark seated at piano backstage at Syria Mosque for Night of Stars event, 1946. Courtesy Carnegie Museum of Art, Pittsburgh; Heinz Family Fund; © ...
- 2011–01–04 Chili con carne
Chili was first invented by the Spanish Canary Islanders, in the city of San Antonio, Texas, which they founded. The recipe used for American ...
- 2011–01–04 The long exposure of Francesca Woodman
Text Taken between 1972 and 1981, Woodman’s photographs are almost all black-and-white and have a general softness of focus not often seen these days. ...
- 2011–01–03 Back of a paperback
- 2011–01–03 Twice Removed
Image Twice Removed: A Survey of Take Away Work Encountering the “take away” artwork, consisting of unlimited or large-run editions whose ...
- 2011–01–03 On ‘Modern Family’
Text Today, we have a similar selection. Anodyne comedies like Modern Family and Parks and Recreation present a pleasant, untroubled picture of the present ...
- 2011–01–02 Godard on E-Books
Image “What I call time is this,” he said, as he opened the book and flipped its pages back and forth. “For the electronic book, ...
- 2011–01–02 Hypnic Jerk
Quote A hypnic jerk, hypnagogic jerk, sleep start, or night start, is an involuntary myoclonic twitch which occurs during hypnagogia, just as the subject is ...
- 2011–01–02 Excerpt from ‘Ball of Fire’ (1941). Barbara Stanwyck, Gary Cooper, d: Howard Hawks.
- 2011–01–02 Pals For Life / Life For Pals
Image Actual Size Los Angeles is pleased to announce, Pals or Pals for Life / Life for Pals, a teleplay about the dialectics of friendship under the strain ...
- 2011–01–02 From Samuel Beckett, ‘More Pricks Than Kicks’ (1934)
- 2011–01–02 Pancake people
Quote Description of the Internet generation, whose knowledge is wide but shallow. Writing for The Huffington Post in December, Marshall P. Duke commented on ...
- 2011–01–01 Jasper, Texas: The Community Photographs of Alonzo Jordan at International Center of Photography
- 2010–12–31 Le Monde’s 100 Books of the Century
Quote The Stranger (The Outsider), Albert Camus (1942)
Remembrance of Things Past, Marcel Proust (1913-1927)
The Trial, Franz Kafka (1925)
The Little Prince, ...
- 2010–12–31 Helen Shapiro, ca. 1962 (age 15, three UK #1 singles)
- 2010–12–31 Fassbinder’s ‘World on a Wire’ (WDR-TV: 1973)
Image Mirrors and a variety of glass and window panes that fragment and complicate space in the film. Many directors use mirror shots occasionally (with ...
- 2010–12–31 Four poems by Richard Meier
Quote Tables for two
Sometimes we eat at a broad, thick farmhouse table,
with drawers above our laps
where cold, bone-handled knives lie ...
- 2010–12–31 Surgery Degree Zero
Quote Year-Zero FaceTerm for the ageless visage created with fillers, Botox, chemical peels, and the like.
Writing for The Guardian, Eva Wiseman ...
- 2010–12–31 ‘Il Gattopardo’ (1963). Burt Lancaster, Claudia Cardinale, Alain Delon. D: Luchino Visconti.
- 2010–12–31 The Mice (Cleveland, Ohio: mid-1980s)
Image L to R: Ken Hall (bass, b. vox), Tommy Fox (drums), Bill Fox (gtr, vox)
- 2010–12–31 Nilsson Sings Newman (1970)
Quote Nilsson often reminds the listener that he is listening to the recording of a studio album. Nilsson’s voice in the control room is heard on ...
- 2010–12–31 Huysmans’ Bus Ticket
Image A couple of weeks ago I posted on my blog the cover art for a 1959 Penguin edition of J.-K. Huysmans’ Against Nature, in ‘a new translation ...
- 2010–12–31 Auden reviews Tolkien
Quote This idea appears repackaged in a much later poem on the Soviet invasion of Prague:August 1968
The Ogre does what ogres can,
Deeds quite impossible ...
- 2010–12–09 Artists in Action #618
Image Dennis Wilson flips Mike Love the bird while brother Carl looks on in astonishment.
- 2010–12–09 Some people’s cows can moo
Quote The Russians missed no opportunity to criticize Washington over the leaks. On Thursday, in Moscow, Prime Minister Vladimir V. Putin said that the West ...
- 2010–12–08 In the Heart of the Heart of a Color (1976)
Quote In its reliance here on metaphor, language shows us how separate its function must always be from that of sensation. The philosopher’s point Mr. ...
- 2010–12–08 A plane flies through a Google Maps satellite image
- 2010–12–06 Becherovka
Image A bottle of Becherovka, a bitters made in the Czech Republic and bottled at 38% ABV. Becherovka listen (help.info) is an herbal bitters made in ...
- 2010–12–06 James Wood on Keith Moon
- 2010–12–06 The Essential House Book
Image ALL TEXT AND IMAGES TAKEN FROM THE ESSENTIAL HOUSE BOOK BY TERENCE CONRAN, 1994; “THIS TOO SHALL PASS AWAY [FOR FREDDY]” BY XIU XIU, FROM ...
- 2010–12–05 This keeps happening to me
- 2010–12–05 Los Angeles: Classic Drive-In Delight at Capitol Burgers
Image Once upon a time describing food as “fast” wasn’t pejorative. During the rapid (sub)urbanization of post war America, the slow-cooked ...
- 2010–12–05 ‘Relaxation Drinks,’ by Mauricio Alejos
- 2010–12–04 Whose flag was it?
Text And so the story goes that Rauschenberg smuggled them into the show anyway, as elements in his own combine painting. [It’s not clear why ...
- 2010–12–04 Icelandic Art News
Image In may 1965 an article in Morgunbla, Reykjavik’s most widely-read newspaper, announcing a Musica Nova concert with composer and pianist Nam June ...
- 2010–12–04 Frederick Wiseman’s ‘Reality Fiction’
Text Belfast, Maine (1999) The turn is evident, to my eye at least, in his beautiful film of 1999, Belfast, Maine, in which there is a palpable ...
- 2010–12–04 Response to ‘Generation Why?’
Quote To the Editors:I’m old enough that any thoughts I have on social networking are of limited value [Zadie Smith, “The Social Network,” ...
- 2010–12–04 Zadie Smith: ‘Generation Why?’
Text … Finally, it’s the idea of Facebook that disappoints. If it were a genuinely interesting interface, built for these genuinely different ...
- 2010–12–04 ‘Spirit Duplication,’ Yara Flores
Text …The ditto machine, or “spirit duplicator” as it is more properly known, was a manually cranked drum-printing device originally ...
- 2010–12–04 John Baldessari “Not Prints: Posters 1966-2010,” Installation view, 2010
- 2010–12–03 Kelefa Sanneh: Jay-Z’s “Decoded” and the language of hip-hop
Text Jay-Z explains not only what his lyrics mean but how they sound, even how they feel:When a rapper jumps on a beat, he adds his own rhythm. Sometimes ...
- 2010–12–03 White Fence: White Fence (Make A Mess, 2010)
Image Tim Presley is a member of the bands Darker My Love and the Strange Boys, which do variations of dirtied-up psychedelic pop. White Fence is his third ...
- 2010–12–03 From “The Narrow Corner,” W. Somerset Maugham (1932)
Text The boy withdrew it from the flame, kneaded the pellet again and cooked it once more; he inserted it into the pipe and handed it to his master. The ...
- 2010–12–03 (untitled)
Image The dashboard of Jose Pereira’s 1974 Lincoln Continental features an eight-track tape player. “It’s a super-economical car,” ...
- 2010–12–03 ‘Supercalifragalistic’: Dick Van Dyke’s musical memories
Quote “I hear you like to harmonize,” he said. “I love to harmonize,” Van Dyke replied, and invited the man and his friends to come ...
- 2010–12–02 After the Cleveland School
Text So, at a minimum, the tension that Clark associates with modernism is at least as old as Hume and Blake. One is tempted to write a long essay about ...
- 2010–12–01 Donald Barthelme’s Syllabus
Image SYLLABUS P. 2
SYLLABUS P. 3
- 2010–11–09 Interaction design to the letter
Clip In some cases the damage is mitigated. Salman Rushdie’s archive, already being organized by Emory University, displays that writer’s ...
- 2010–11–08 An Interview With Alan Stillman
Quote NCR: Where were those people hanging out before you opened your bar? Stillman: At the time, it was all cocktail parties. What would happen is that on ...
- 2010–11–08 My Endless New York
Text By the time I got to Paris, most people in the world had stopped speaking French (something the French have been slow to acknowledge). Who now would ...
- 2010–11–08 Christgau on Prince’s ‘Dirty Mind’
Quote Prince Dirty Mind [Warner Bros., 1980]
After going gold in 1979 as an utterly uncrossedover falsetto love man, he takes care of the songwriting, ...
- 2010–11–08 ‘Make Me Psychic,’ Sally Cruikshank (1978)
- 2010–11–08 Deconstruction as a way of analyzing texts
Text If the text is anything you want it to be, however, then there seems little point in insisting on the precision of the method. In other words, the ...
- 2010–11–08 William Whyte’s classic The Social Life of Small Urban Spaces
- 2010–11–06 What you missed the other night at K and M bar
Video THIS IS WHAT YOU MISSED THE OTHER NIGHT AT K&M BAR
- 2010–11–06 Nora Ephron’s scarves
- 2010–11–04 Bespoke fish coffin, Ghana
- 2010–11–04 (untitled)
Quote I was eating some Fish and Chips the other day. The first french-fry I absent-mindedly put in my mouth was, by a large margin, the absolute worst item ...
- 2010–11–04 Murals on Telephone Exchange, Holborn Viaduct
- 2010–11–03 Disappearing Ink
Image Hans Haacke: News, 1969/2008 I left the New Museum’s “The Last Newspaper”—a show that sets out to explore the relation between ...
- 2010–11–03 Popular videos
Image Weather.com, accessed 13 Nov 2010 (detail). Screenshot (PNG), 672 × 322 pixels.
- 2010–11–03 Girolamo dai Libri: Madonna and Child with Saints (20.92)—The Metropolitan Museum of Art
Image Madonna and Child with Saints (detail), altarpiece, ca. 1520
Girolamo dai Libri (Italian, Veronese, 1474/75-1555)
Tempera and oil on canvas Arched top, ...
- 2010–11–03 Tim Lincecum
Quote … Outfielder Cody Ross, who scored on Edgar Renteria’s decisive three-run homer off Cliff Lee in the seventh inning Monday, said Lincecum ...
- 2010–11–02 Roula Partheniou
- 2010–11–02 On “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy”
Quote Exo: grand statement alert:
Exo: Kanye’s most emblematic quality has been his willingness to speak ego to power. that’s sorely missed by ...
- 2010–11–02 Pineapple prepared for sale in Haikou, Hainan, China.
- 2010–11–02 In the Studio #64
Image Judee Sill
- 2010–11–01 Fits and starts
Quote Toddlers and Tiaras. My present intrigue is the walk/dance of “glitz” contestants when they’re modeling swimsuits/talenting. ...
- 2010–11–01 Stills: Alice in the Cities (1974)
Image Directed by Wim Wenders. With Yella Rottlaender, Ruediger Vogler, Lisa Kreuzer, Edda Koechl.
- 2010–11–01 (untitled)
- 2010–11–01 The battles for late night
Text Weaver was a Dartmouth philosophy major; his boss, the redoubtable David Sarnoff, president of RCA, which owned NBC, had never gone to college. Weaver ...
- 2010–10–31 The weekend
- 2010–10–31 Because Samuel Beckett already writes the way he does
Quote Mark McGurl, quoted by Elif Batuman, argues that the ‘ultimate commitment’ of the discipline of creative writing ‘is not to knowledge ...
- 2010–10–31 Marilyn Monroe’s Stuffing
Quote Scrawled on stationery with a letterhead from a title insurance company, the recipe describes in some detail how to prepare a stuffing for chicken or ...
- 2010–10–08 ‘Genius’
Image iTunes (detail)
- 2010–10–08 The Barthes who painted water colors
Quote Barthes has always been one of my favorite authors. He is really a writer, not just a theorist or critic. What I particularly like is that he is really ...
- 2010–10–07 Mario Vargas Llosa with his second wife, Patricia (1967)
- 2010–10–07 Mainly Spaniards – 1982 – That’s What Friends Are For 7’‘ (NZ)
Image Mainly Spaniards – 1982 – That’s What Friends Are For 7’‘ (NZ) download@rapidshare
- 2010–10–07 Bad Boy Mixtape Vol. 3, 1996
Image Stretch Armstrong & Puff Daddy: Bad Boy Mixtape Vol. 3 (1996) Medafire
Side A: 01. The Lox & The Notorious B.I.G. – Freestyle 02. Nas, ...
- 2010–10–06 The Riptides – Sunset Strip 7” (1978)
Quote DOWNLOAD Video de “77 Sunset Strip”
- 2010–10–06 NBA cooks up edible logos to make mark on pizza and toast
Image The NBA is offering edible basketball logos that can be put on cooked pizza.
- 2010–10–06 T.J. Clark, ‘Modernism, Postmodernism, Steam’
Text The question to put to the art of the present, then, is what does that art appear to see as the beliefs in the culture of our own moment that are ...
- 2010–10–06 “Good morning”
- 2010–10–06 Aesthetic Judgment and Its Suspension
Quote The suspension of aesthetic judgment can be liberating. Not having to worry at every moment about “how good it is” is a foundational ...
- 2010–10–05 Privacy is history, 1888
Quote In Silicon Valley Paris, the software coder Mark Zuckerberg the gossip reporter George Flack pitches his idea for a new kind of social-networking site ...
- 2010–10–05 Favorite kitchen tool: spoon
Quote The best tools are the simplest tools. The above spoon sat around among my stove-side utensils, lonely and forlorn, seldom used. Just a spoon, after ...
- 2010–10–03 Jimmy at Heidelberg Repatriation Hospital, Heidelberg, Victoria, Australia, 2009
- 2010–10–02 Frank Santoro on comics’ framing devices
Image (Grids in North American comics.) … Also, most grids in comics fluctuate – the panel size may be uniform for a page, but often not for a ...
- 2010–10–02 Loredana Detto
Image Loredana Detto: irresistible in Ermanno Olmi’s Il Posto (1961)—her only acting credit. Always wondered what happened to her. Turns out she ...
- 2010–10–02 Mexican Authorities Burn 134 Tons of Marijuana
Image And so up in smoke went the equivalent of a few hundred million joints in what Mexican authorities called the largest seizure of the drug in the ...
- 2010–10–02 Hotel Slang (1939)
Quote CAVE | Guest room.
TO CLIMB THE CLEATS | To use the stairs.
COMP | Non-paying guest.
CRACK | Prostitute.
CROCK | Bottle; drunken person.
- 2010–10–02 Osborne’s Kidney Cuts
Quote An extract from George Osborne’s statement in the House of Commons on the 2010 Spending Review: I am grateful to the work of my right honourable ...
- 2010–10–02 Sorry, we didn’t know you were invisible
Quote That the stealth submarine is currently so hard to miss brings to mind the mocking Serbian apology offered in 1999 after its military shot down an ...
- 2010–10–01 Paulina Olowska: “Applied Fantastic”
Image PAULINA OLOWSKA: “APPLIED FANTASTIC”
Opening: Thursday, 28 October 2010, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Exhibition: 28 October – 4 December ...
- 2010–10–01 Plucked from Obscurity
Video The “hapax legomenon,” as classicists among us know, is a word that appears only once in a language’s (or an author’s) texts. ...
- 2010–10–01 ‘TELEVISION with BRYAN ENO’ [bootleg]
Image BRIAN ENO & TELEVISION Television With Brian Eno (Scarce US 6-track LP recorded live at Fairland Studios in 1974 with all vocals & track ...
- 2010–10–01 The original interior of the Mei Lai Wah Coffee House, 64 Bayard St, Manhattan
- 2010–09–30 Elvis Costello, “Accidents Will Happen” (1979)
- 2010–09–30 Maxell XLII
- 2010–09–09 “The Krazy Kat That Walks By Himself,” from Seven Lively Arts (1924)
Text The theme is greater than the plot. John Alden Carpenter has pointed out in the brilliant little foreword’ to his ballet, that Krazy Kat is a ...
- 2010–09–09 Messerschmidt’s Mad Faces
Text Franz Xaver Messerschmidt (1736-1783) is one of those elusive eighteenth-century figures who confront us with the nocturnal side of the enlightenment. ...
- 2010–09–09 Kingsley Amis: Letter to Peter O’Donnell
- 2010–09–09 NWA, 1987.
- 2010–09–08 William N. Copley. “Great Expectations,” 1973. Charcoal on paper, 24 × 18 in.
- 2010–09–08 Thomas Mann on smoking
- 2010–09–08 My Own Private Delaware
Image The unassuming official home of Twentieth Century Fox, Kentucky Fried Chicken and 200,000 other companies
- 2010–09–08 Wimple Winch 4 track acetate
Quote Was this a proposed EP for release in 17th January 1967? This 10 inch Fontana acetate brings together all tracks from their 2 singles with the ...
- 2010–09–08 The problem with Shakespearean authorship theories
Quote Imagine an aristocrat, an enormously gifted polymath of the early 17th century. He produces two bodies of literary work: the first, under his own name, ...
- 2010–09–07 Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Text Replacing the off-white painted walls that had prevailed there since the Kennedy administration is wallpaper hand-painted in alternating vertical ...
- 2010–09–07 A reality that exists largely independent of our convictions
Quote Thomas Nagel, in his review of my book Natural Reflections, mistakenly infers that I do not ‘believe in’ a ‘reality that exists ...
- 2010–09–07 Pizza Obsessives: Colin the ‘Slice Harvester’
Quote Wow. That made me hungry and I just had breakfast…. Um, let’s see, what’s next on the list here … What’s your favorite ...
- 2010–09–07 Interview with Phil Schaap
Quote Can you name all the WKCR jazz festivals? Let’s see if I can name them all — I betcha I can. The first one was Albert Ayler in the fall of ...
- 2010–09–07 Roger Federer vs. Brian Dabul, First Round—US Open 2010
- 2010–09–06 Meghan O’Rourke, Poetry, “Apartment Living,” The New Yorker, September 20, 2010, p. 63
- 2010–09–06 Alan Clark: ‘Elephant’
Video A stunning piece of television from 1989.
- 2010–09–06 Titlescreen for “Joe 90”
Image Joe 90 is a late-1960s British science-fiction television series concerning the adventures and exploits of nine-year-old Joe McClaine, who starts a ...
- 2010–09–04 Elif Batuman: “Get a Real Degree”
Text Mark McGurl’s The Programme Era: Postwar Fiction and the Rise of Creative Writing, a study of Planet MFA conducted from Planet PhD, might not ...
- 2010–09–04 Mayhew’s novel idea
Quote Literary works are about exactly what they seem to be about.
- 2010–09–04 Annotation: Recycled Ideas and Bottles
Quote At February’s “The Medium Was Tedium” panel discussion at the New Museum (and later, in his contribution to issue 9), artist Mel ...
- 2010–09–03 The neuronovel
Text In short, we increasingly can’t help but understand – as Hess and Jokeit have it – ‘melancholy as serotonin deficiency, ...
- 2010–09–03 “Vows”—Ariana Rockefeller and Matthew Bucklin
Quote A puff of white cloud strayed across a powder-blue sky as Ms. Rockefeller walked the aisle of fresh cut grass in a Monique Lhuillier embroidered lace ...
- 2010–09–03 Pac Marks #2: Hypothetical, Political, Lyrical (In That Order)
Text The verse itself is strong but not stunning. It’s simple and to the point, but in a sense that’s why it’s so impressive. That’s ...
- 2010–09–03 R.D. Laing, “Conversations with Children”
- 2010–09–02 Borges and Local Color
What’s odd about Borges’s Personal Anthology is how boring it is relative to his collected works. Borges explains in a preface that ...
- 2010–09–02 Brian Chippendale’s Puke Force No. 16
- 2010–09–02 Claude Chabrol—Obituary
Referring to the uneven critical reception of his work, Mr. Chabrol is said to have remarked, “You have to accept the fact that sometimes you are ...
- 2010–09–02 Jonathan Rosenbaum: on Peter Greenaway
Text One can still enjoy Greenaway’s sarcasm and aesthetic eccentricity up to a point, if only because his intelligence, his art-history background, ...
- 2010–09–02 Jonathan Rosenbaum: Fritz Lang “Spione”
Quote Lang shares with Orson Welles a taste for using powerful authoritarian figures to forge a kind of autocritique of his own artistic practice and its ...
- 2010–09–01 “About seventy per cent of the world’s tufted carpet is…
Quote “About seventy per cent of the world’s tufted carpet is produced in the vicinity of Dalton, Georgia, according to the Carpet and Rug ...
- 2010–08–31 Frank Kermode’s cannabis plant
Quote What first grabbed my attention was not Kermode sitting there in his tennis whites, but rather the large near-to-flowering cannabis plant growing from ...
- 2010–08–31 Football as Before
Text Usually citing the cool music, or Zidane’s gladiatorial good looks, people uninterested in soccer have often told me the movie exceeded their ...
- 2010–08–09 William Savory
Text Part of what makes the Savory collection so alluring and historically important is its unusual format. At the time Savory was recording radio ...
- 2010–08–09 The Elaine Benes look re-appears
Image The floral-and-tough look of Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Elaine Benes on “Seinfeld” is this summer’s downtown inspiration.
- 2010–08–09 Anthony Lane on “Get Low”
Quote “One thing about Chicago: people knew how to die,” Quinn says of happier days. When I tell you that Quinn is played by Bill Murray, you ...
- 2010–08–09 psyched out – bookforum.com / in print
Text In expressing these concerns, I date myself, no doubt. By the early 1990s, something changed in the context of Deleuze’s reception, at least in ...
- 2010–08–09 David Gascoyne – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Image David Gascoyne (October 10, 1916 – November 25, 2001) was an English poet associated with the Surrealist movement.
- 2010–08–08 Bins
Image Frankfurt Kitchen from the Ginnheim-Hoehenblick Housing Estate, Frankfurt am Main, Germany. Designer: Margarete Schuette-Lihotzky (Austrian, 1897-2000) ...
- 2010–08–07 The Freshies, ‘My Tape’s Gone’
- 2010–08–07 Kaugummi Books
Image New titles by Massimiliano Bomba / Jimi Franklin / Gerg� Szinyova / Aleksandra Waliszewska / Jaakko Pallasvuo / Alexander Binder / Marcus Oakley / ...
- 2010–08–07 T. Hodler on “Alan Moore’s The Courtyard”
Text The original prose story does in fact display flashes of Moore’s trademark wit and invention, but it is end still fairly typical of Lovecraft ...
- 2010–08–07 Among the Flutterers
Text Quattrocchi draws conclusions a little too easily from a consideration of the connection between the fury of the pope’s attacks on homosexuality ...
- 2010–08–07 Rodolfo Fogwill obituary
Quote A brilliant description of life underground during the conflict, Fogwill stressed that the book was above all a “mental experiment”. ...
- 2010–08–06 Jason Fulford and Tamara Shopsin
Image 225 pictures shot in collaboration with Tamara Shopsin for the book
Eat Me: The Food and Philosophy of Kenny Shopsin
Published by Alfred A. Knopf
- 2010–08–06 (untitled)
- 2010–08–05 Ty Segall in dreams
Text People streamed out after the band finished and I made my way up to the front, near a fan mounted on the wall, which almost made it bearable to stand ...
- 2010–08–04 Bags by Miles Jopling
- 2010–08–03 This love of mine turned me into a hooligan
Video “Lasky jedne plavovlasky” (Loves of a Blonde), intro credits. Dir: Milos Forman, 1965
- 2010–08–02 “Our Love,” June 1970 (Marvel Comics)
- 2010–08–02 Fjord’s Smorg-Ette
- 2010–08–01 Arguing with Tony Judt
While scanning new magazines or newspapers, there are certain bylines you tend to notice. The list of them varies from person to person. But the habits ...
- 2010–08–01 Sorts of Success
Quote Stefan Collini notes that Graham Greene became the literary editor of Night and Day, which folded within a year (LRB, 5 August). In fact, Greene was ...
- 2010–08–01 PictureBox—Exotic Pets Poster
- 2010–08–01 Across the street from ‘Shea Stadium’ last night
- 2010–08–01 Tongue taco, Roosevelt Avenue
- 2010–08–01 Khira Jordan — Staff — Opening Ceremony
Image NAME Khira Jordan HOMEBASE OC WorldWide HOMETOWN Los Angeles, CA ASTROLOGICAL SIGN Libra MYSELF IN THREE WORDS Not not fun FIRST CASSETTE TAPE ...
- 2010–08–01 Hurricane Earl
Image Fajardo, Peurto Rico. Ricardo Arduengo/Associated Press
- 2010–08–01 My brother on ‘Seinfeld’
Quote “Neurotic narcissists prove unable to help each other.” – October Hare‘s seven-word summary of Seinfeld In each episode of ...
- 2010–08–01 St Nick
Image The Skull and Crossbones of St. Nicholas Church, Deptford, London. This church is a short walk down from the ship yards on the Thames. The sailors ...
- 2010–07–31 The Hollinwell collapse
Quote How the mysterious collapse of nearly 300 young musicians at a rural English fete became one of the most controversial examples of ‘mass ...
- 2010–07–31 Crash course in science: early synth wave from Philadelphia
Video “Flying Turns”, which you can stream below, was recently included on the Minimal Wave Tapes Vol. 1 compilation. Crash Course in Science ...
- 2010–07–31 When the Republicans were right
Quote When the House of Representatives passed the 19th Amendment in May 1919 it did so by 304 votes to 89, with Democrats only 104 to 70 in favour but ...
- 2010–07–31 For Eixample
Image Barcelona, aerial photograph showing Ildefonso Cerda’s chamfered grid, from the 1859 city plan
- 2010–07–31 From “Cezanne’s Doubt,” Maurice Merleau-Ponty (1945)
Text His painting was paradoxical: he was pursuing reality without giving up the sensuous surface, with no other guide than the immediate impression of ...
- 2010–07–31 Money As We Knew It?
Text Lost gestures What is all this supposed to mean? I believe it is a piece of the historical past of the money experience as well as of individual memory ...
- 2010–07–31 Poptimist #32
Quote V is for Virtue (and Vice): Guilty pleasures appeal as a concept because the feeling you oughtn’t to be enjoying something is a really powerful, ...
- 2010–07–09 Still from R. W. Fassbinder, “Katzelmacher” (1969)
- 2010–07–09 (untitled)
Image Hugh Trevor-Roper and his wife Alexandra at Christ Church, Oxford, in 1980. Photograph: Graham Harrison/Rex Features
- 2010–07–09 This Thursday in LA
Image Me self-promoting on here…means something is up. Come find out. Mention getting tag banged and I’ll give you one of the letterpressed invites.
- 2010–07–09 Luther Blissett, official likeness. Andrea Alberti & Edi Bianco, 1994.
- 2010–07–09 Tom Stoppard returns to BBC with Ford Madox Ford adaptation
Quote Playwright’s five-part BBC2 version of the first world war story Parade’s End will be his first projects for corporation since 1970sTom ...
- 2010–07–08 Nieves: Huge Supplement
- 2010–07–08 Louise Bourgeois’ apartment, Chelsea
Image Louise Bourgeois, artist, Chelsea
- 2010–07–07 Stevie Smith, self-portrait
- 2010–07–06 Graphic
Image Prospect-Lefferts Gardens, Brooklyn
- 2010–07–06 Pie: Issue 3, Trace
- 2010–07–06 Nathalie Du Pasquier
Image 2006 – 100×150
- 2010–07–04 Images from the James McMullan Collection
Image Original art for cover of Los Angeles Times West magazine, February 1, 1970.
- 2010–07–04 Paper Plates Fit for a Queen
Image (Above) Click on any image for larger view.
ART DEALER EXTRAORDINAIRE Joshua Lowenfels discovered these paper plates decoupaged with male imagery, ...
- 2010–07–03 Jerry Devo’s Belushi Coke Yarn and Other Stories
Quote Crawdaddy!: Didn’t the immortal Fred Willard host the episode of SNL you did? Casale: Yeah, I think so. I think—wasn’t Martin Mull on ...
- 2010–07–03 Mark Twain on interviewing
Quote By some cosmic fluke, the Mark Twain Foundation has just released a previously unpublished essay (written circa 1889 or 1890) by the great writer ...
- 2010–07–03 Improbable research
Quote In the ordinary eating of shredded wheat biscuit with milk or cream, if a thin milk is used and the biscuit is allowed to soak even for a comparatively ...
- 2010–07–03 Beef Sesame Pancake at XSG Dumpling House
- 2010–07–03 To Be (or Not to Be) Continued
Text Well, one of my initial impetuses for the way [Wilson] was told was that I was reading the collected Peanuts editions […] And to read them in ...
- 2010–06–30 Comics of attraction
Text If you put the first three Yokoyama Yuichi books together, you have a composite image of the development of a landscape for leisure tourism in Japan, ...
- 2010–06–03 Bushmiller’s Nancy and Iconic Solidarity
Text Nancy and her doppelganger-cousin One tired jab against Ernie Bushmiller was that he didn’t draw his characters but merely rubber-stamped them on ...
- 2010–06–02 Bookplate
Image ‘Winward Prescott’ bookplate from the Pratt Ex Libris Collection. Via HH.
- 2010–05–02 Why coffee stains are ring-shaped
Text There’s a group of clever people at the James Franck Institute (UChicago) who study some of the overlooked and bizarre regularities of everyday ...
- 2010–05–02 From ’24 Pieces,’ Allen Ruppersberg
Image from 24 Pieces by Allen Ruppersberg
see the rest
- 2010–04–02 On Ecto cooler
Text Flavorists are genre-benders creating tastes (processed in the brain mostly through the nose) by combining chemical elements of what you think you ...
- 2009–11–05 Artists in Action #538
Image Angie Dickinson leaves the tarmac with a smile on her face and, perhaps, a song in her heart.
- 2009–11–05 Bread shoes by R/E Praspaliauskas
Image Twin brothers and designers R&E Praspaliauskas have designed a collection of shoes made of bread.
- 2009–11–02 The First / Last Newspaper – Dexter Sinister
Image THE FIRST / LAST NEWSPAPER
Dexter Sinister Publishing imprint Dexter Sinister will transform BLANK SL8 (pronounced “Blank Slate”)—a ...
- 2009–11–01 Food’s Fiscal Facts, Marinetti, and the “Art of Eating”
Image Food’s Fiscal Facts from Avalanche 4, 1972. Shown at “From the Archives: 40 Years / 40 Projects,” at White Columns, New York. Photo: ...
- 2009–10–09 Fantastic Mr. Arctic Fox
Image Older Fjallraven (Swedish for Arctic Fox) jacket/parka from a finished basement/workshop of an estate sale, made in Finland. Fjallraven is a Swedish ...
- 2009–10–09 The spicy fries at Xiao La Jiao in Flushing
- 2009–10–08 Thebes, Egypt. John Bulkley Greene, salt print (1854)
- 2009–10–08 Les cahiers purple, Elein Fleiss
Quote “I think most Purple Fashion readers are new readers, if you can call them readers, I think they’re part of these people that go through ...
- 2009–10–07 Discontinuities in maggots
Quote Michael Berry’s old Physics Today article on singular limits opens with this brilliant analogy:Biting into an apple and finding a maggot is bad ...
- 2009–10–07 Andy Warhol, Ladies and Gentlemen, at Skarstedt Gallery
Image Warhol, cross-dressers, and his Polaroid Big Shot camera. His assistant Vincent Fremont: “Bob Colacello found most of them at a club called the ...
- 2009–10–06 Dim Sum at Ocean Jewel in Flushing, Queens
Text Ground pork meatballs with slices of conch meat and shitake on top. Fried glutinous rice balls with a shrimp and ground meat filling. Steamed eggy ...
- 2009–10–06 New Work: ‘Matisse as Printmaker’
Image The 80-page book is intimately scaled at 6 5/8” by 8 �”. The cover features no type, only Matisse’s signature, and appears in one ...
- 2009–10–04 Damien Hirst: Dead on Arrival
Quote “They’re thoroughly derivative. Their handling is weak. They’re extremely boring. I’m not saying that he’s absolutely ...
- 2009–10–03 Flip-Flops for Sale
Image In dowtown Recife. And in Oscar Freire, Sao Paulo (Havaianas store by Isay Weinfeld).
- 2009–10–02 Faces of Science #4
Image Carl Sagan
- 2009–10–02 (untitled)
- 2009–10–01 From the dark past
Image new piece: from the dark past .com
- 2009–10–01 Where the Wild Things Are
Text A wild thing with James Gandolfini’s voice and Max Records in Where the Wild Things Are (dir. Spike Jonze, 2009).Hoberman, in his Village Voice ...
- 2009–10–01 Society #40
Quote September 2009 When I arrived on the train in Seattle, I was supposed to be picked up by two people I had never met. Their names were Kari and Abby, ...
- 2009–09–09 broken self interactive sculpture
Image On view now at AFK Sculpture Show in Berlin, an interactive sculpture based on broken self .com. Curated by AIDS-3D.
- 2009–09–09 The phenomenon of “swing”
Quote The phenomenon of “swing” has received a lot of attention. Does it swing or doesn’t it? Today I’d like to consider another ...
- 2009–09–09 A Wikipedia Reader, 2009
Quote A Wikipedia Reader, 2009. Now online for download and for pre-purchase.
- 2009–09–08 Picasso’s light drawings, photographed by Gjon Mili
- 2009–09–08 Guy Kibbee Eggs
Quote An egg fried in the center of a holed-out slice of bread goes by many names. One of them, Guy Kibbee eggs, originated because an actor named Guy Kibbee ...
- 2009–09–05 Dallas, 1950s
- 2009–09–04 The ‘Room Tones’ of the Convent of St. Cecilia
Text Molly Lowe‘s video of compulsive consumption, “K-mart shopping”, is in the former chapel
Julio Cesar Gonzalez‘s thin cables ...
- 2009–09–03 J. Crew gets Arty
Image I’m not sure what angle the ad-execs at J. Crew are trying to play, but for October’s 2009 J. Crew catalog, they’ve enlisted ...
- 2009–09–02 The Maxwell Street Market, Chicago
Text But buried amongst the random stalls was the promise of transcendent food, which was what had brought us to the little stretch of Chicago street next ...
- 2009–09–01 Siedlung
Quote Got to meet Erik at Motto’s book fair and picked up a copy of Siedlung, published by one of my all-time favorite imprints, Roma. Van der ...
- 2009–08–31 Sumi Ink Club: Spectacles T-shirt
- 2009–08–31 Confide in me, Tom
Image In his later years, comedian Groucho Marx became the unlikely penpal of poet T. S. Eliot, and the following is just one of many witty letters sent back ...
- 2009–08–09 Summer political philosophy update
Text I’d describe myself as a left-wing individualist; I’m antagonistic in the abstract to most forms of communitarianism, unions, ...
- 2009–08–08 #329 — Highest Common Denominator
Quote An increase in scale does not always entail reductiveness: one effect of the best mass culture is to trace or forge the connections among the ...
- 2009–08–06 Out here over there
Image Bevel and Boss
- 2009–08–05 A cup of coffee by Ryohei Yoshiyuki
Image Japanese designer Ryohei Yoshiyuki has designed an ash tray made of used coffee grounds.
- 2009–08–05 Michael
The Jackson Five were America’s first internationally recognized black adolescent boy band. They were as smooth as the Ink Spots, but there ...
- 2009–08–03 What About Style?—1986
- 2009–08–02 Lamp Made of Drinking Straws
Image The Clutch Light by Scottish designer Scott Jarvie is made of hundreds of colorful drinking straws bundled together, based on the structural ...
- 2009–08–01 Polaroids
Image Everything is Possible (A Polaroid Group Show)
1520 N. Cahuenga Blvd., Los Angeles
August 21-September 13
Opening Friday (tonight) August 21, 7-9pm
- 2009–07–31 L.L. Bean, 1943
Image Speaking of Mainers in World War II, this is a US Navy Officer's Briefcase, made by L.L. Bean for officers who were being trained as navigators to ...
- 2009–07–08 Thread: ‘RobMix—tell us about MJ!!!’
Quote One morning MJ came in with a new song he had written overnight. We called in a guitar player, and Michael sang every note of every chord to him. ...
- 2009–07–08 The Cloud Project
Text Cloud seeding with bacteria to make rain snow ice cream As scientist and emerging technologies advisor Andrew Maynard wrote on his blog, the gap ...
- 2009–07–08 Pictures of Audrey Hepburn and her pet deer
- 2009–07–05 Barney Bubbles for the Psychedelic Furs
Image Barney Bubbles’ association with the great British post-punk band The Psychedelic Furs may not have lasted all that long yet it proved to be ...
- 2009–07–04 Wylie Dufresne’s Garlic Bread
Quote We roast off several heads of garlic in foil and then put that through the food mill and blend it with some raw parsley and some butter. You get this ...
- 2009–06–05 Innovative escape tools from german prisons
Image DUMMY SUBMACHINE GUN
Made from a grease injector, wood, a rubber sleeve, and tape. The mock weapon was found in 1994 in a prison workshop in ...
- 2009–06–04 Take “Dixieland” jazz
Quote Take “Dixieland” jazz. Armstrong’s Hot 5 and Hot 7 sessions are perfectly listenable today. They still sound fresh and new. But any ...
- 2009–06–04 The exact acoustic shape of the skies above Los Angeles
Quote An email was sent out last week from the Regional Public & Private Infrastructure Collaboration Systems (RPPICS) — an organization with no ...
- 2009–06–04 “The Style is on the Inside”
Text Indeed, practically all metaphors for style amount to placing matter on the inside, style on the outside. It would be more to the point to reverse the ...
- 2009–06–03 Tracy
- 2009–05–07 Bryan Schutmaat
- 2009–05–06 A Visit to Hellenurme Watermill, Valga County, Estonia
I knew next to nothing about watermills before heading down to see one in southern Estonia, so I had an open mind. The website promised a tour, a glass ...
- 2009–05–05 Repainting of the 53rd St. IND Station
- 2009–05–05 (untitled)
- 2009–05–05 Vaclav Chochola, ‘Man Ray Paris, 1968’
- 2009–05–03 Nick Lowe, ‘Bowi’
Image On this date in 1977, Nick Lowe released his first EP and called it Bowi. Nick Lowe used to feign annoyance that David Bowie had released an album ...
- 2009–05–02 After 341 Years, British Poet Laureate Is a Woman
Quote With the choice of Carol Ann Duffy, the post held by such poets as Dryden, Tennyson, Wordsworth and Ted Hughes went to a woman for the first time.
- 2009–05–01 Walker Evans for Fortune
Image There are countless essays on these photographs, its meaning and significance. I admire them for the questions they ask, who uses these tools, what are ...
- 2009–04–07 Against the grain
Text the New Criterionists sometimes boast that they and not the multiculturalists are the true democrats, applying to themselves Arnold’s words in ...
- 2009–04–07 Eggy bread
Text My inquiries as to the recipe, as I followed him to the table, were met with an equally nonplussed response. The sense I was beginning to get from Dan ...
- 2009–04–04 Mirror Mirror
- 2009–04–03 Giant Cheetos vs. Regular Cheetos
Text “Giant orange balls are here, Robyn!” exclaimed Adam. …Huh? I had no idea what he was talking about. And then he showed me the ...
- 2009–04–02 Rio Cinema by 1:2:3 and Kristoffer Sundin
Image Design studio 1:2:3 and student Kristoffer Sundin have developed an interior and graphic identity for the Rio cinema in Stockholm, Sweden. (more…)
- 2009–03–31 New Jack Swing video party
Quote I was driving to work this morning and took a left turn instead of the usual right turn and next thing I knew, I was in New Jack City. The clouds ...
- 2009–03–31 Keaton
- 2009–03–09 Attack of the squares
- 2009–03–06 The seagulls inside my head
Text This “new kind of writing” is necessary for realism’s sake. Even if it is true that each succeeding generation of writers “has ...
- 2009–02–28 Out of borough experience: Sunnyside, Queens
Text Sunnyside is one of my favorite neighborhoods Queens to go and eat. The main reason is that I’m lazy and I’m not always in the mood for an ...
- 2009–02–08 (untitled)
Quote One of the coolest grids of all time is Karl Gerstner’s grid for Captial magazine. Based on subdividing a square into 58 equal units, Gerstner ...
- 2009–02–04 James Wood’s best books since 1945 (Circa 1994)
Quote I had never seen the list – it's not available online – until Nicholas Richards, one of my readers, forwarded me a PDF of the original ...
- 2008–12–07 Slavoutich, the Poisoned Town
Image This is the fourth section of a work of seven dedicated to the Chernobyl tragedy and it focuses on Slavoutich (or Slavutych in Ukraine), a model city ...
- 2008–12–01 Artists in Action #459
Image Woody Allen hits the Blackjack tables
- 2008–11–30 ‘Beyond the literary’
Text James Wood’s greatest strength as a critic is that he does not spend much time and space on “what lies beyond the literary.” He ...
- 2008–11–14 On ‘Ballast’ (2008) and ‘Killer of Sheep’ (1977)
Clip It’s an extraordinary passage: engrossing, indelible, unexplained. But its success is due almost exclusively to the peculiar sureness of its ...
- 2008–08–01 Be my baby